Refugium vs. Media Reactor ?

Refugium vs. Media Reactor

• Total voters

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty crazy and you only have two fish and feed minimal. This hobby is scary!
Let me elaborate, I actually have 16 total fish and when I feed 2 cubes worth of LRS REEF FRENZY plus full sheet of Nori and then occasional white worms that’s max compacity.

Here is my full fish list:
• Copperband Buttetfly fish
• yellow Eye Kole tang
• Yellow Tang
• 3 designer clownsfish
• 2 Blue star leopard fish
• Flame Angelfish
• coral Beauty
• 2 purple filefish
• 2 bimaculatus anthias
• Magnificent Foxface
• Mandarian Goby

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me elaborate, I actually have 16 total fish and when I feed 2 cubes worth of LRS REEF FRENZY plus full sheet of Nori and then occasional white worms that’s max compacity.

Here is my full fish list:
• Copperband Buttetfly fish
• yellow Eye Kole tang
• Yellow Tang
• 3 designer clownsfish
• 2 Blue star leopard fish
• Flame Angelfish
• coral Beauty
• 2 purple filefish
• 2 bimaculatus anthias
• Magnificent Foxface
• Mandarian Goby
Gorgeous stocking list. I just wish you and I could find a solution to nutrient balance.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No set amount of chaeto to be harvested. You get a feel about how much to harvest based on your testing of notary and phosphates.
It’s just quite worrisome, especially getting into the hobby only a year as of now. I currently have a 20 gallon long with a canister filter and it is pretty well stocked (because I am upgrading to a 55). It is no inhumanely stocked, but I got a little guy in there just waiting to grow into the next tank. The canister filter can only bring my boat so far, which is why I am battling GHA like no tomorrow. I run around 10 PPM of detectable Nitrates and nearly undetectable Phosphates, probably because of the GHA battle. I am hoping that the new addition of a protein skimmer and refugium will be the solution to the balancing equation.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous stocking list. I just wish you and I could find a solution to nutrient balance.
Thank you, I love my fish and it’s definitely tough to manage nutrients. I’m starting to get corals going again as I had all my LPS die out about 6 months ago.

I remember when my corals were doing well it actually kept my nutrients lower. I have GSP growing up my overflow now & started adding more LPS corals as well.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I love my fish and it’s definitely tough to manage nutrients. I’m starting to get corals going again as I had all my LPS die out about 6 months ago.

I remember when my corals were doing well it actually kept my nutrients lower. I have GSP growing up my overflow now & started adding more LPS corals as well.
Any pics?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one from before a lot of my LPS died

Attachments

• C566E321-16A0-429F-94A0-AAC6C694179D.jpeg
    C566E321-16A0-429F-94A0-AAC6C694179D.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 33

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks gorgeous and pretty healthy
Thanks! I lost my torches and frogspawns from some weird bacteria disease so it’s more empty now. I have about 8 corals on frag racks now and will be getting the process rolling again!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back