Refugium vs. Media Reactor ?

Refugium vs. Media Reactor

• Total voters

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although reactors are much more efficient do you think fine carbon dust doesn't develop in there and escape into the water column also? I'm sure it does in microscopic amounts.
Probably does, have no way of knowing to be quite honest. I run my reactors in reverse so it forces the water down into the carbon to prevent any tumbling that may occur.

Fine dust, maybe, but certainly no where near the amount that putting it into a filter cup with water crashing into it will.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 60.2 but the sump doesn’t have room for all three amenities
I have a 60G cube and bashsea cube sump. I put live rocks in the first (filter sock) chamber, skimmer second, then return chamber. My carbon reactor get fed from and return back into the return chamber. This way the carbon gets fed with clear water and won’t clog.
while the rocks maybe not as effective as chaeto, in term of nitrate remover, it’s much more simpler and requires virtually no maintenance on my part.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably does, have no way of knowing to be quite honest. I run my reactors in reverse so it forces the water down into the carbon to prevent any tumbling that may occur.

Fine dust, maybe, but certainly no where near the amount that putting it into a filter cup with water crashing into it will.
I run both, remote fuge and media reactor. The fuge will eventually replace all po4 reducing media.
I have already reduced po4 media by 2/3.
I mix 1/3 cup of each, rox carbon, gfo, and phosgaurd.
I then put it in an old chemipure nylon sock and place it in the Lifegaurd reactor.
I run a wad of filter floss on the output before the sponge.
This works well and the gfo never clumps or tumbles.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both, remote fuge and media reactor. The fuge will eventually replace all po4 reducing media.
I have already reduced po4 media by 2/3.
I mix 1/3 cup of each, rox carbon, gfo, and phosgaurd.
I then put it in an old chemipure nylon sock and place it in the Lifegaurd reactor.
I run a wad of filter floss on the output before the sponge.
This works well and the gfo never clumps or tumbles.
Not sure why this was directed at me, but I pretty much do the same. Mix carbon with GFO, but I run my reactors in reverse(down through the media) so no tumbling can occur. With the carbon mixed into the GFO, it does not need to tumble as the carbon keeps it from clumping.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why this was directed at me, but I pretty much do the same. Mix carbon with GFO, but I run my reactors in reverse(down through the media) so no tumbling can occur. With the carbon mixed into the GFO, it does not need to tumble as the carbon keeps it from clumping.
But what if there is no room for a reactor?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tie it in a media bag, and throw it in a high flow area.

Are you running a sump? Not sure why you wouldn't have room. They make stand alone units that require a separate pump, as well as those that would sit in a sump with no external pump.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it was for the carbon dust comment and I saw it when you respomded to it.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what if there is no room for a reactor?
As homer1475 pointed out, a reactor doesn’t have to be in the sump chamber. TLF reactor can be hang on the sump wall. I hang my BRS reactor inside the stand.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tie it in a media bag, and throw it in a high flow area.

Are you running a sump? Not sure why you wouldn't have room. They make stand alone units that require a separate pump, as well as those that would sit in a sump with no external pump.
B9D30F73-4D8E-4A71-BBE4-2D26C43694F7.png
Here is the sump. The white portion is the skimmer. Greenis obviously Chaeto. The red is the heater. It will be more tightly packed than this, but this is a general idea.

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run dual media reactor with GFO first & Carbon second. I have a Refugium with 3 different types of Chaeto as well. Even with all that my nutrients are still visible.

phosphate - .08
Nitrates - 30 ppm

I only feed LRS reef frenzy and the equivalent to 2 cubes. I also feed full sheet of Nori since I have (2) tangs & (1) Magnificent Foxface.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run dual media reactor with GFO first & Carbon second. I have a Refugium with 3 different types of Chaeto as well. Even with all that my nutrients are still visible.

phosphate - .08
Nitrates - 30 ppm

I only feed LRS reef frenzy and the equivalent to 2 cubes. I also feed full sheet of Nori since I have (2) tangs & (1) Magnificent Foxface.
When’s the last time you did a WC?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? The Chaeto should be removing all of the nitrates?
I sure wish that was true, I have a 131 gallon DT with 40 gallon sump. I’ve even been using NOPOX to reduce nitrate and have a high rated skimmer.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium just make sure you harvest often so as to not accidentally tank your nutrients and cause a crash. I'm ashamed to say I've done it 3 times because I refuse to learn/ wasn't water testing often enough

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure wish that was true, I have a 131 gallon DT with 40 gallon sump. I’ve even been using NOPOX to reduce nitrate and have a high rated skimmer.
That’s pretty crazy and you only have two fish and feed minimal. This hobby is scary!

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium just make sure you harvest often so as to not accidentally tank your nutrients and cause a crash. I'm ashamed to say I've done it 3 times because I refuse to learn/ wasn't water testing often enough
Can you elaborate?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate?
If you fail to harvest cheato and let it grow to such quantity that it removes too much Phos / nitrates from your system you'll have a large die off of Chaeto all at once causing a nutrient bloom. Cheato doesn't self limit well like pods, rottifiers, etc. Do.

OP
OP
A

Apheoxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you fail to harvest cheato and let it grow to such quantity that it removes too much Phos / nitrates from your system you'll have a large die off of Chaeto all at once causing a nutrient bloom. Cheato doesn't self limit well like pods, rottifiers, etc. Do.
Is there a set amount that should be harvested?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a set amount that should be harvested?
No set amount of chaeto to be harvested. You get a feel about how much to harvest based on your testing of notary and phosphates.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back