Refugium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Bmw015

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching YouTube hacks on my Nuvo 16 gallon tank. Saw someone put refugium in the built in sump (? Is that what it’s called? Newb here). Thoughts? I found the light and media basket they used. Is it worth the trouble? I currently have sponges and Purigen in a media basket.

johntdaballa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching YouTube hacks on my Nuvo 16 gallon tank. Saw someone put refugium in the built in sump (? Is that what it’s called? Newb here). Thoughts? I found the light and media basket they used. Is it worth the trouble? I currently have sponges and Purigen in a media basket.

I think your posting in wrong section

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a refugium on all of my systems as I consider them a great way to control nutrients. The effectiveness of the refugium is going to depend on the size, the flow through it, the algaes/etc you have growing in it, the light source, the light schedule, etc. I encourage you to watch the below video to get some more information on running a refugium. In fact, if you haven't watched the entire 52 weeks of reefing series, you should do that now.

PS, this thread probably shouldn't have been made in the wwc sponsor forum.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo on a nano tank it will probably be more work for reward and take up space you could otherwise use for media if you ever need it.
Water changes in nano systems are really good ways to keep parameters stable.
That being said, it’s about what you are trying to achieve. I really like my refugium in my sump because I can see it and it’s cool. I like growing cheato. It helps keep my display free from algae. I only do one water change a month.
I have seen a lot of people use algae scrubbers with great results as well so that may be an option. They don’t take up a lot of space.
Just some ideas. Have fun with it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worry's friend . I agree with cgdcinc . Most likely too small & you will end up with bits of the algae in the pump. An algae scrubber would work if you have the room. However if yu want to experiment ,go right ahead !
If so let us know how it works for you !

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back