Refugiums

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a 60 gal display and a. 20 gallon refugium with caulerpa dragons breath and cheato. And 20 pounds of sand. And a 20 gallon sump. I’m upgrading to a drilled 75 gal with a custom made 40 gallon sump with an extra large fuge chamber. I’m worried about the decrease in water volume. I have a couple of questions like can I put all three kinds of algae in such a small space together should I add sand and will they pull as many nutrients as they did on the 20 gallon? Anybody have any experience with this?

6C41EE11-39E2-4CFD-868D-0038A00D9DD9.jpeg 9AE92CE1-AD64-418E-BD6A-8CC5A9BA6A2F.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran a fuge, I liked the remote fuge more, than one in a sump.
I liked to look at it. Play with it. Clean it.
When it was in the sump, it was just a fuge.

OP
OP
Coralqueendom

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran a fuge, I liked the remote fuge more, than one in a sump.
I liked to look at it. Play with it. Clean it.
When it was in the sump, it was just a fuge.
I like the idea of a remote fuge more one maybe next to the tank. But I can’t figure out how id plumb it

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the question. I converted my 20g remote fuge into a rock nem and NPS tank. Its plumbed off my manifold and drains into the sump. I drilled 2 holes in one side for mickey mouse overflow. Should have got a fancy one but.....One hole flows water and the other is the emergency. It is not a fast drain. For flow I have 2 of them OW10 Jebao powerheads . They are set at the lowest speed and set to come on random.

OP
OP
Coralqueendom

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the question. I converted my 20g remote fuge into a rock nem and NPS tank. Its plumbed off my manifold and drains into the sump. I drilled 2 holes in one side for mickey mouse overflow. Should have got a fancy one but.....One hole flows water and the other is the emergency. It is not a fast drain. For flow I have 2 of them OW10 Jebao powerheads . They are set at the lowest speed and set to come on random.
Would you mind sending a picture or a video of your set up?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot off the press. Not the best pic's.... iphone 6 quality . With tank light, its impossibkle to get a shot without 1/2 of it being reflections and glare.
pipes3.jpg
pipes2.jpg
flow1.jpg

OP
OP
Coralqueendom

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot off the press. Not the best pic's.... iphone 6 quality . With tank light, its impossibkle to get a shot without 1/2 of it being reflections and glare.
pipes3.jpg
pipes2.jpg
flow1.jpg
Is there a baffle right after the intake/outtake? Both lines into the sump? And is that the fuge or the dt

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the old fuge / new nem NPS tank. I put a baffle in there when I had a fuge. I didnt want macros clogging the drains.
The 2 pipes are both drains. One is active and one is an emergency.
The black pipe is the water coming in from the manifold

OP
OP
Coralqueendom

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the old fuge / new nem NPS tank. I put a baffle in there when I had a fuge. I didnt want macros clogging the drains.
The 2 pipes are both drains. One is active and one is an emergency.
The black pipe is the water coming in from the manifold
Those pictures are helpful. The black tube in the dt is from the pump or am I missing a third pipe before the baffle? Appreciate you

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black pipe is the water coming in from the manifold to the 20g tank.
it is what you call the third pipe. There are no others
The main tank is a 600g and it sits across from this.
The main sump is underneath the platform all this sits on.

The reason its kinda weird is I had my fuge set up with a reverse under gravel filter. The intake for that was in the middle. I used reborn calcium media for a substrate, so I could grow a ton o pods. The water would push up so not much ditritus would settle in the substrate.

The red valve in the first picture is to my calcium reactor....has nothing to do with this

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back