Regal Angel pair

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an egg crate divider for a few days. When allowed together there was some chasing and posturing but no fin damage.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived in New Jersey as a child. Beautiful country. Sorry about the hens. Bears are beautiful. But only at a distance.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys purchase the regals as a pair? Or use acclamation boxes for a bit?
I did put crate between them at first. Bought a couple weeks apart. They have been together for a year now. And the larger still chases the little one some. Nothing serious though. More of a get out of my way thing. There is quite a difference in size though. I would choose 2 the same size if I could have. And both around 3 inches. They are not set in their ways on only wanting to eat live sponge and not so small as to be frail. Mine eat anything I give them. I gave them flakes once just to see if they would eat them. They did. I like DD, you know the size that way.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair have been together for about two years. My Red Sea was two inches and my Maldives was 1.5” when I first purchased them. The larger one was already in the tank for a few month before I introduced the smaller one. Now two years later the smaller one has out grown the other by about a half inch and has started showing dominance after always acting submissive. A total reversal of behavior by both fish. Gill spikes are still short on both fish.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two juveniles to create a pair.

This is what I would do.

Fishnut, that is very interesting. Makes me start thinking in circles. Then admit defeat. I have no good idea why that would happen.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update. Both fish are looking great. They are growing slowly. Have no idea if this is normal. They are both a little chubby. Love watching them interact. The yellow belly is still smaller by alot. But no agression.

Shelley

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update. Both fish are looking great. They are growing slowly. Have no idea if this is normal. They are both a little chubby. Love watching them interact. The yellow belly is still smaller by alot. But no agression.

Shelley
That's great!! They grow slowly. Mine is 11 years old and has only grown about 2.5 inches.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Shelly where are the pictures? You know if you come on here with an update we want to see pictures.

fish 3-8-20.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great!! They grow slowly. Mine is 11 years old and has only grown about 2.5 inches.
Scott,
That is slow. Mine is only 2 year old pair and they already 2.5+ inches. I love your Blue Chest Regal. IMO, a good healthy Blue Chest Regal angel have more striking color than the Yellow chested ones.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys. I will take a new photo tonight and get it posted. Of course I only have a cell phone. I might have to get a real camera after seeing those photos!

And thanks for all the photos. Love them.

Shelley

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, I have wondered how long they can live. So excited to hear that you have had yours 11 years. How large was it when you purchased it?

Shelley

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@outerbank also have a 20+ yo Ocellaris Clowns pair and yellow tang, and near 20 year Magnifica anemone . I lost count the number of years, and does not want to exaggerate.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orion my oldest is a 9 year old pair of clowns. I never tire of watching them. I did start feeding my angels the food you recommended to me a while ago. Though I did just start feeding it to them a week ago. Was hoping that their colors would improve.

Some day I plan on getting a larger tank. So much work. And I am not a large woman. So would need help moving tanks.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of my angels. Not very clear either because I added too much buffer to my top off water

angels 4-27-20.jpg

They are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I am afraid to add other fish to my tank. I have the 2 Regals, a butterfly fish, a white tail bristle tooth tang and a few small fish in my 140. And around 60 mollys! You have quite a few beautiful fish there.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video of my Maldives pair during morning feeding:

I raised the male from a roughly 2" baby and he has grown to over 5" in the 4 years I have him. He was eating frozen Mysis from day one and I basically raised him on that and flake food.
For most of the time, I had him in the 40B that functioned as a sump for the display. After we moved I added him to the display tank (the last surviving Sumatra Regal I had in there before died in the larger holding tank before I could set up the display again). At that time he was about 4". After being in the display he did not only grow but also developed clear male characteristics: significantly enlarged opercular spines and a more stretched out body shape.
I always wanted a Maldives Regal pair and knowing that I had a male made that easier. So earlier this year I was able to get another Maldives Regal. This one was larger than I originally wanted and fairly significantly misbared - and very clearly a female. She took a little while to take frozen food and a little longer to also accept flakes but by now she goes after it ferociously.
While the male is generally a pretty mellow and friendly guy who gets along well with everyone (he has been with the Marine Betta pair since I got him and they grew up together), the female is a bit of a troublemaker who likes to pick fights with most of the other fish.
When I added her to the male she got a bit of a beating but the male accepted her pretty fast. By now he is clearly showing mating behavior but she is still in transition from juvenile to adult and mature yet.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back