Regal Angel pair

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two regal angels in a 40 gallon breeder. One is just under 3 inches and one about 3.5 inches in length. Plexi glass separating them. Both are healthy and eating well. Would like thoughts on how long I should keep the plexi glass separating them? They will be going into a 140 gallon lightly stocked tank. Not in a hurry. The 40 is a fully cycled tank with rock and sand.

Shelley

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't typically separate angels when pairing I just add the both of the prospective pair to a new environment at the same time. However if I did use one I would use one I would only keep it in 1 day to 1 week depending on the interactions of the angels through the glass. If they are not making aggressive displays through the glass then I would remove it.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I think I will add some more caves and give it a try. I can rehome if necessary. But would really prefer to keep them both.

Shelley

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def introduce them in the 40B. Much easier to reseparate than in the bigger tank. I've kept regal pairs in the past, usually works.

That is the truth! I have a white tail bristle tooth tang that will need catching. Bit of a bully. Going to make a tank to put him in. Out of lexan glass. Drill lots of holes in it and hang it inside the tank. Give the angels free range while the tang is in solitary. He will get rehoused it he does not change his ways.

Angels are doing good still. Only a very half hearted attempt at chasing the smaller one a couple of times so far. :)

Shelley

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find one healthy eating regal angel lol and you have 2
If you ever consider parting with either regal or your whitetail let me know

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Divers den had the little yellow belly one. They stated it was eating well and only about 2.5 inches. I snatched it up. There was another, but while less costly there was no mention about it eating. I have had only good luck with the smaller ones. They seem to both like the chopped clams from ocean nutrition. Once eating that well they started eating other offerings. If you were closer I would gladly give the tang to you.

Shelley

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I don’t mind paying for shipping if your up to the challenge or have a local lfs near you
I had a beautiful bright orange one I got from reefwise. Was eating. Healthy. Very sociable. Had her for about 3 months. I started using gfo and the next day she wouldn’t come out the rocks. Following day she was dead. Reefwise is getting me another one

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for the loss. It is always sad when the young die. :(. I will keep you in mind if he doesn't shape up. Casper really does not have a LFS.

Shelley

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in my 140 gal. tank now. The yellow belly is the smallest. She was attacked by my larger white tailed bristle tooth tang the first night. That was last week. I was prepared to come home the next day and take the tang out. Kept the lights off until then. But when I got home they were getting along. She had a bad cut that is mostly healed now. The two regal angels swim near each other most of the time now. They are slower moving fish compared to the tang and zoster butterfly I have. Much more calming to watch.

I really enjoy watching them. They are eating fine also. I have to feed more to be sure they can get some. But they will eat even off the rocks.

Shelley

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in my 140 gal. tank now. The yellow belly is the smallest. She was attacked by my larger white tailed bristle tooth tang the first night. That was last week. I was prepared to come home the next day and take the tang out. Kept the lights off until then. But when I got home they were getting along. She had a bad cut that is mostly healed now. The two regal angels swim near each other most of the time now. They are slower moving fish compared to the tang and zoster butterfly I have. Much more calming to watch.

I really enjoy watching them. They are eating fine also. I have to feed more to be sure they can get some. But they will eat even off the rocks.

Shelley

That is awesome! I am working on a 3.5” one from LA and trying to get him to eat. So far he has only picked on fresh oyster and today is day 3. I have two more juvenile incoming this Saturday also from LA. Hoping to have a trio in my 300G.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trio would be great! As long as the little guy is picking at food there is hope. I admit to putting a wide assortment of frozen food into a container and giving it to mine. 3.5 inches should eat almost immediately. I hope the two coming are smaller. I buy quite a variety of foods from LA for mine. I bought some stomatella snails on eBay. I think they are them. :(

Let me know how the trio does. Are they the yellow belly type? I have one of each and it will make telling them apart easier. I will say I like each as well as the other.

Shelley

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Red Sea Regal from Mike @NYAquatic. Thing is a beast! Started eating pretty quickly and now eats anything I give him.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg that is wonderful. My largest one recently has developed a taste for mastik. Which is not really good. I drop small pieces of it into the tank for my blue spotted jawfish. Before lights on. It was the best way to be sure he got food. Now the angel and a zoster keep eating his food!

They are awesome fish! Post a photo of yours if you get time.

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg that is wonderful. My largest one recently has developed a taste for mastik. Which is not really good. I drop small pieces of it into the tank for my blue spotted jawfish. Before lights on. It was the best way to be sure he got food. Now the angel and a zoster keep eating his food!

They are awesome fish! Post a photo of yours if you get time.

F4892281-7ACA-47B6-97B6-B9AAA588BA88.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%

Back