Regal Angel, possible lympho?

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Regal Angel a couple days of ago on Sunday. Eats frozen mysis and brine/spirulina well. I noticed two white flecks at the end of the tail and some nodules at the base of the tail (fleshy part). This looks like lympho. Can anyone confirm? Fish is active and healthy otherwise.

I know standard procedure is let it run its course. There's a diamond goby and two clown fish, all much smaller than the angel. It's a fairly low stress environment as it gets used to me. I have a beefy uv sterilizer (coral 12x). It's got low input right now, should I increase sterilization? Also should I do a water change? Water change might stress fish a little, I was planning on waiting a day or two more.

Sorry for the picture, it still a little skittish when I'm right up to the glass. You can't see the two flecks (I don't think it's ich, I've treated ich before), but the arrow should clearly point to the nodules
E8C804BD-E039-43B7-99E7-4C7A00605C9C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Got my Regal Angel a couple days of ago on Sunday. Eats frozen mysis and brine/spirulina well. I noticed two white flecks at the end of the tail and some nodules at the base of the tail (fleshy part). This looks like lympho. Can anyone confirm? Fish is active and healthy otherwise.

I know standard procedure is let it run its course. There's a diamond goby and two clown fish, all much smaller than the angel. It's a fairly low stress environment as it gets used to me. I have a beefy uv sterilizer (coral 12x). It's got low input right now, should I increase sterilization? Also should I do a water change? Water change might stress fish a little, I was planning on waiting a day or two more.

Sorry for the picture, it still a little skittish when I'm right up to the glass. You can't see the two flecks (I don't think it's ich, I've treated ich before), but the arrow should clearly point to the nodules
Pic quite dark and best under white lighting. It may be as these angels and some butterflies are susceptible to lympho also called cauliflower often associated with water quality (ammona-nitrate and Ph) and diet).
Its viral and will fall off by itself.
Is fish eating ?
Is breathing normal or labored?

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, I'll try and get a better photo later. Eating well, just fed before picture. No labored breathing. Normal behavior, a little shy but explores tank.

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, if it's related to water quality maybe I should water change. Wdyt?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This species is prone to Lymphocystis, but that is not a typical location.
Pics under white lights may help.
Nice fish!
Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species is prone to Lymphocystis, but that is not a typical location.
Pics under white lights may help.
Nice fish!
Jay
Thank you Jay, it's one of my favorite ever. Just beautiful. I try not to get too attached in the initial days of acclimation but I hope this one is long term. It's active and eating. In fact i had to use frozen mysis to entice it out. This is the best picture I could get. But I have a video which is a bit clearer. You can see the white is not like ich, it's bigger and more concentrated and "fleshier" which led me to believe lympho.

I just uploaded the video the resolution might be a little low as it's processing but should still be visible

128A68FE-3166-4F30-AA40-55B66136B61C.jpeg

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another video

The more I look at him the more like lympho it seems. I just noticed what might be a very slight growth on one of his sides. At the very least, it really doesn't seem like ich/velvet.

I will do a water change today. I was worried about stressing the fish but it seems active and even ate right in front of my face pressed into the glass :)

Diamond Goby and Skunk Clowns show no signs of illness.

I have some fish being shipped to me (lavender tang, two spot tang (similar to Tomini)), will this be an issue? I have a 40 gallon quarantine already set up. Should I keep the Angel in here and quarantine the tangs or vice versa?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the angel where it is and quarantine the tangs elsewhere.
The videos are really pixelated on my phone, but the still pic doesn’t look like lymphocystis to mean - not gray and nodular
Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the angel where it is and quarantine the tangs elsewhere.
The videos are really pixelated on my phone, but the still pic doesn’t look like lymphocystis to mean - not gray and nodular
Jay
Sounds good thanks for the advice :) Luckily the tangs are juveniles so 40 gallons should be plenty in the short term.

Interesting, I need to take a closer look, I didn't know lympho had to be gray. I was guessing based on pictures I saw online.

Youtube seems compress the video automatically, even in "HD" mode. I have the raw file
drive.google.com/file/d/18Ixs8Crp7CgHDMNK_1H6nn8rG1CENrvp/view?

But at any rate.....I'm quite certain it's not ich. Too large and fleshy. I even thought it looked "nodular" but perhaps I misunderstood the term. Guess I'll do a larger water change and wait and see. Hopefully it stays active and eating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also from HumbleFish's post:

"Lymphocystis appears as a white or beige colored wart-like growth that usually starts on the fins and spines and sometimes spreads to the body. It can also grow over internal organs, including a fish’s gills. Initially it may be small (looks like Ich), but then grows in size (which is how you know it’s not Ich). Lympho is a virus that many fish carry for life. Fortunately, it is rarely fatal or even harmful to the fish, and symptoms will come and go."

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also from HumbleFish's post:

"Lymphocystis appears as a white or beige colored wart-like growth that usually starts on the fins and spines and sometimes spreads to the body. It can also grow over internal organs, including a fish’s gills. Initially it may be small (looks like Ich), but then grows in size (which is how you know it’s not Ich). Lympho is a virus that many fish carry for life. Fortunately, it is rarely fatal or even harmful to the fish, and symptoms will come and go."

The color of the lmphocystis tumors are based on the fish cells they are derived from. In the case of Pygoplites angels the underlying skin is grayish. On clownfish it can be tan or even orange. Oddly, on royal grammas they are white.
Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color of the lmphocystis tumors are based on the fish cells they are derived from. In the case of Pygoplites angels the underlying skin is grayish. On clownfish it can be tan or even orange. Oddly, on royal grammas they are white.
Jay
As always Jay, your expertise is extremely helpful. Let's hope it is lympho and not the more persistent ailments.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back