Regal Angel Swim Bladder Issue

fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a regal angel 4 days ago and it seems to have developed some sort of swim bladder issue. This fish did not ship well and started off pretty bad. It was originally laying at the bottom of the tank and breathing very rapidly. Within a day it was up and swimming normally and just today a buoyancy issue

It also has a whitish scratch on the back of its body right before the tail.

see the video below:

I did a freshwater bath when I first received it. The regal has not started eating yet so I dosed metroplex and kanaplex directly to the tank.
I also have nitrofurazone in the water.

I have methylene blue on hand if you guys think it will help. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to be in a real bad way. It looks severely bloated. That could be from swim bladder infection, but the swelling looks lower down, so could be gas in its gut. That can be from bacterial decomposition in the gut.
I’m really sorry, I don’t have any treatment to offer. Does the shipper offer any support for problems like this?
Jay

OP
OP
F

fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the prognosis is bleak. I will contact the shipper.

Absolutely nothing you would recommend? Maybe even surgery? Would you do the methylene blue dip?

What would you do to prevent any of the other fish in quarantine with the regal from catching the bacterial infection.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As with a harlequin tusk I received 3 weeks ago , coincides with Jay's statement that it may have gulped air(gases) during shipping as water is splashing around in bag not to mention often poor handling of boxes in transport. My tusk has returned to normal after taking two weeks to expel the air in its system.
Hopefully this was reported quickly to shipper in which most only allow 2 hours after receipt to address concerns

OP
OP
F

fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with a harlequin tusk I received 3 weeks ago , coincides with Jay's statement that it may have gulped air(gases) during shipping as water is splashing around in bag not to mention often poor handling of boxes in transport. My tusk has returned to normal after taking two weeks to expel the air in its system.
Hopefully this was reported quickly to shipper in which most only allow 2 hours after receipt to address concerns
This issue only developed today.

What did you do to help your harlequin tusk recover?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This issue only developed today.

What did you do to help your harlequin tusk recover?
Nothing- I let it slowly release the gases which I suspected. I doubt its constipation from looks but may as Jay suggested be bladder
Will be hard to treat if fish is Not eating

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Absolutely nothing you would recommend? Maybe even surgery? Would you do the methylene blue dip?

What would you do to prevent any of the other fish in quarantine with the regal from catching the bacterial infection.
You could try drawing any gas off with a syringe, but that usually gives only temporary relief.
Jay

OP
OP
F

fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on doing that? What gauge syringe would you use?

If I could draw the air out until I get him eating then start using metro+focus+food, would it be possible to cure?

any experience with feeding fish via intervenes or syringe. Even better, could I sedate the fish and inject metro into its system?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Space looks tight, sees reflection on bottom.
Adds stress.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a DT guy, and I think the folks who have commented all ready are the best one we can hope for regarding experience and knowledge of your fish issue.
I’m a holistic guy (some people see my position as a quack) but I’m not posting to create laughter or skepticism, trying to help you with the fish.

I think your fish is probably just suffering from shipping complications and other than disoriented/ gas disease it appears healthy and eager to live and swim right.
Help it out.
Wash your hands good and rinse to remove any soaps, etc. Dip your hand in salt water and then carefully, purposefully reach into the QT area and cup the fish (firmly without crushing it) and hold the fish upright. That tank looks pretty tight, so perhaps set up another tank or 5 gallon bucket with circulation so you can “swim” the fish holding it upright face into the current and walk it for a few minutes, carefully holding it as it is resting on your hand and getting water flowing across the gills in the normal swimming orientation.

I first saw this performed by a stranger who wandered into the fish store I managed and she volunteered by reaching into an acclimation bucket to reorient a fish that was struggling ( much worse) like your fish is. I thought she must be a lunatic but dang if that fish didn’t recover afterwards. She probably swam it for less than 15 minutes.
You may need to repeat the artificial swimming aid procedure a few times a day, it should look better (more properly oriented) after each session.

The needle for deflation is the smallest gauge sharp you can find. Every puncture is another place for secondary infection and I would not do this for a struggling fish. Give it a hand.
KrisReef.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on doing that? What gauge syringe would you use?

If I could draw the air out until I get him eating then start using metro+focus+food, would it be possible to cure?

any experience with feeding fish via intervenes or syringe. Even better, could I sedate the fish and inject metro into its system?

I use a fine gauge needle - for this fish though, a tuberculin syringe might be too fine, I'm not sure what the next size up is.

Metro+focus+food is an uncontrolled dose, it won't work. Metro needs to be dosed at 1% in food, and you need to measure that with a gram scale. Trouble is, metro is also very bitter and fish will often refuse to feed on it. Tube feeding is a better way to administer oral meds with a fish like this that is not eating. Here is an article I posted about that:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 106 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back