Regal Angel

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone on here keep them? Any tips for me? I just acclimated this lil guy and snapped a quick shot before i turned the lights off.

IMG_0838.JPG

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept 1 in a 200g for around a year now.. all I've been able to get mine to eat is the ocean nutrition angel formula cube. Sponge based. shows no interest in all the other food I offer.. it eats a majority of the sponge cube per day and is now a fatty but it cost me about 20 dollars a month to keep it fed

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you fellas regals come outta the red sea that were eating corals? I've never had a issue with mine and was told when I got it since it was out of the red sea I wouldnt need to worry about it munching on corals? so far so good lol

20191120_115705.jpg

OP
OP
MyTankSux

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news. I've seen it eat a few pieces of mysis shrimp i put in my tank. Havent had a chance to get any angel formula cubes yet, but I have a few pieces of sponge I purchased before I ordered the fish. I think we have a winner!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish BTW. I've had my RS regal for 2 years and he eats anything and everything, he is also the bully of the tank, go figure. They love fresh clams too. If he is already eating mysis throw a fresh clam soaked in selcon or zoecon and he will devour it.

OP
OP
MyTankSux

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some half clam on the shell this evening. Niping at it for sure. Even doing the happy andgelfish butt dance when it eats. I see angelfish do this on occasion when they eat something they like such as sponge, zoas, cockle. Thanks for the suggestion @pathot984

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some half clam on the shell this evening. Niping at it for sure. Even doing the happy andgelfish butt dance when it eats. I see angelfish do this on occasion when they eat something they like such as sponge, zoas, cockle. Thanks for the suggestion @pathot984
Glad to hear it. Honestly your Regal looks like a super healthy specimen. Just keep the water conditions pristine and try adding vitamins to the food and keep at it. Once they are eating consistently it is smooth sailing. What other fish do you have in your display?

OP
OP
MyTankSux

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 lyretail anthias (6 more on the way)
2 Randall gobies
2 ocellaris
Midas Blenny
Potters angel
melanarus wrasse
biocellatus wrasse
grabbing another potters and regal angel. Both can be paired up if small.
More stuff soon LOL my tank is only about 2 months old.
this tank is going to be the seed for a 750g im going to have built in about a year or so.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing! You already of a lot of inhabitants for 2 months old. Do you QT your fish?

OP
OP
MyTankSux

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really I didnt see any signs of disease. Whenever I get a new fish, it gets fw dip, formalin & malachite green bath, m. blue bath, then into the tank. If the fish seems suspect at all then I qt in a 20 gallon. I have tons of experience. I started keeping salt aquariums about 30 years ago with my dad. I worked in the saltwater aquarium industry for about a decade also.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really I didnt see any signs of disease. Whenever I get a new fish, it gets fw dip, formalin & malachite green bath, m. blue bath, then into the tank. If the fish seems suspect at all then I qt in a 20 gallon. I have tons of experience. I started keeping salt aquariums about 30 years ago with my dad. I worked in the saltwater aquarium industry for about a decade also.

Very good. Welcome to the forum and please keep me posted on the regal and happy to answer any questions if you need it. I just started following you too!

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks healthy and if it’s eating already you don’t have much to worry about. I do like to feed mine mysis injected with fenbendazole though. One of my current ones was eating great but losing weight until I did that multiple times over a couple weeks. It’s nice and fat now and paired up with a larger one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back