regal angelfish eating my expensive scolymia :(

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got a bunch of corals sent home. I have acans, torches, zoas and Duncans that the angelfish does not eat.

BUT, my newly added scolymia is often being nipped at by my angelfish.

THE VICTIM:

image3.jpeg

THE PERPETRATOR:
image0-3.jpeg

What should I do? it is taken a very harsh toll on the scaly sadly.

no other corals has been harmed by the fish.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scoly is my favourite coral, but so is the angelfish also my favourite fish.

no other way out of this?
get a dome
1691684621737.png

I am not sure how much flow you will get, you might need lift it up every once in awhile to let everything recirculate
You could do that, or a cut off water bottle or a mushroom box. The problem becomes that everytime that I see it people eventually stop cleaning the container and the coral gets less and less light.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7326.jpeg

Looks more inflated after getting protected :)

Hopefully it grows back to normal

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yea that’s what they do! You have to make that choice unfortunately. Angels or corals, for me the corals are more important. I would absolutely love an angel in my tank as well as some others that are not reef safe but I need another fish only tank. I even tried a flame and lemon peel since they are the mini angels that are reef safe with caution. No, they went right for some acros and the only caution you need to have with those is to make sure your kids are not in the room when you see it eating your corals because you will yell a lot.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yea that’s what they do! You have to make that choice unfortunately. Angels or corals, for me the corals are more important. I would absolutely love an angel in my tank as well as some others that are not reef safe but I need another fish only tank. I even tried a flame and lemon peel since they are the mini angels that are reef safe with caution. No, they went right for some acros and the only caution you need to have with those is to make sure your kids are not in the room when you see it eating your corals because you will yell a lot.
It's quite puzzling, as I've owned this “angel” for almost a year, and it hasn't tried to nip anything, not even the numerous zoas I have. However, the moment I introduce a scolymia, it suddenly attempts to consume it.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's quite puzzling, as I've owned this “angel” for almost a year, and it hasn't tried to nip anything, not even the numerous zoas I have. However, the moment I introduce a scolymia, it suddenly attempts to consume it.
Now its got a taste for lps. You could consider exchanging the regal for one of the genicanthus angels. They don’t touch anything in my tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG_7326.jpeg

Looks more inflated after getting protected :)

Hopefully it grows back to normal
I am not surprised as they are known to eat meat, soft coral and even polyps off SPS. They are q beautiful fish but best in a fish only tank or sps tank with no polyps. I too knew, took the risk and quickly had to sell the fish.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing when I had LPS with angelfish, and had to eventually make the hard decision to take the angel out since I was adding more covers or cones but also needing to increase flow and light for those that are covered but then it’s too strong for the ones that aren’t covered. It’s just such a mess and looking ridiculous with all the covers and cones. Lol.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scolymia is looking very great now, but every time I take the plastic cone off, the regal angel gets back at nipping the coral.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back