Regal Tang seems to be constipated

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I observed what I thought was poop stuck at the anus for the last 4 days. Closer inspection shows it is a piece of black silicone from the aquarium. It must have ingested it and the piece won’t pass through!

Will catching the fish and manually pulling it out cause a larger issue or do I leave it to nature to work itself out?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say, it would be better if you had an anesthetic to work with. I'd say try to remove it though, four days of blockage means the fish is unlikely to be able to pass it on its own. In the cases I've seen of fish swallowing silicone, the impaction was in the pylorus leaving the stomach and the fish didn't survive.

Jay

OP
OP
Tek

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say, it would be better if you had an anesthetic to work with. I'd say try to remove it though, four days of blockage means the fish is unlikely to be able to pass it on its own. In the cases I've seen of fish swallowing silicone, the impaction was in the pylorus leaving the stomach and the fish didn't survive.

Jay

This regal has been under my care for 6 years. I will try to catch it and then proceed from there. It’s thin silicone and may be able to be removed. It has made it this far through the digestive track.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spade tip / broad tip plastic forceps would be best to use, you don't want to break it off. Maybe have a second person help to gently restrain the fish?

Good luck!

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back