Reidi Hybrid e perience?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve managed to keep 1 male Reidi alive and I’m thinking about breeding ... I only have erectus girls so if anyone has tips on attempting this please reply... I ha e a thread started asking about raising pods so and feeding advice appreciated

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, peroxiding it one of the best ways to limit bacterial problems. Nothing is perfect but IMO the more we are able to control it the better it is for seahorses period, but especially when dealing with fry. I hatch the cysts and a day later I separate and grow out for a day until they complete their digestive tract in Instar II stage and then I peroxide them and transfer to the enrichment process. For me, I prefer the enrichment to be two 12 hour stages with new water and new enrichment for each stage. IMO this is important as the enrichment feeds nasty bacteria as well as the nauplii. I do two stages as by the second stage, the enrichment is already being taken into the flesh in addition to being gut loaded.
Here is what Dan Underwood of seahorsesource.com has posted:

"Hydrogen peroxide for Artemia Sterilizing" from Dan Underwood's post on seahorse.org.

I use 35% Hydrogen Peroxide. Local chemical supply company has it for $8.00 gallon. I believe it is industrial grade. 35% has 390,100 mg/L or 390.1 mg/ml. I round that off to 400 mg/ml for most of my calculations. So I add 20 ml to 1 liter (20ml X 400mg = 8,000 mg). 3 % Hydrogen Peroxide = 33.9 mg/ml according to my calculation. I have seen many figure it at 30 mg/ml. To use this I would add 250 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 750 ml water. When i do this, I add the artemia to a hatching cone with strong aeration for mixing and then add the peroxide. After 45 seconds to 1 minute, I pull the airline. The live artemia will migrate to the bottom of the cone. Unhatched cysts, dead artemia and debris will collect on the surface in the foam. At the end of 5 minutes, I open the valve on the bottom of the cone and drain the live artemia into a net with freshwater running. I stop about 1 inch from the foam layer.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back