Reinforcing floor, which bid should I pick?

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple of bids from contractors to reinforce the floor for a 200 Gallon peninsula spanning ~4 joists. I live in the Seattle area for context, and I was surprised by how big a difference in price they both came in at for about the same materials and work. I was hoping a contractor could tell me which one seems like what a job like this should cost. I obviously would rather go with the lower bid, but I just want to make sure that it is not way below what something like this should cost and have a bad, cheap job done under my tank.

Bid 1 -$1,650
• Install two 4x8 beam lines under joist on each side of aquarium.
• Install an additional joist next to existing joist from beam to beam.
• Pour concrete post pads level with crawlspace grade
• Install posts with brackets to support beams.

(1) Clean Up and Haul Away All Materials and Garbage (2) Excludes any work not mentioned above
(3) Includes labor, material and all necessary equipment to complete the project.
total
$1650

Bid 2 - $3,247
Services
Framing $2,500.00
- Frame in (1) 8' 4x10 beam
- Frame in (1) sheet of 4x4 plywood to tie together 3 floor joists
- Frame in 4 posts and footing blocks to support beam and plywood

Materials
Lumber, nails and footing blocks $600.00

total (after discount for the consult and taxes added)
$3247

Also including my sketchup for context, but I guessed where the joists are.

Bid 2 also includes 4x4 plywood and a post under the 50Gallon, but he told me before even coming out that he was guessing the job would come out to about $3k anyway.

Attachments

• mediocre tanks and fish room with joists.zip
    358.1 KB · Views: 64

SR Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First guys plan is not bad. It should be sufficient for what you are trying to achieve. However, his bid is too low. Even without permit from the city. On a good day he will break even unless he doesn't count his own labor. So knowing that, expect to see increase in price after work started.

Of course u could refuse, since is in your rights to not pay anything other than agreed upon. However it is in his right to report u to the city Working Without Permit since u are modifying the structure in most municipality u need approved DOB drawing from either a licensed architect or structure engineer.

Last edited:

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bid is a bid. You pay no more that what your asking unless there is hidden damage that needs replacing. I had a fence guy quote me $4000 on a fence, Another guy $2350 both well known companies. With this said your first quote is fine for what your doing.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a project manager for a local municipality, we are required to take low bid...you are not. That said I agree both seem like they will do the job, both must stick to their proposal except for any unforeseen circumstance they run into while performing the work. Then they must be upfront with how the service is affected and any additional cost.

if concerned about either, ask for references.

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a project manager for a local municipality, we are required to take low bid...you are not. That said I agree both seem like they will do the job, both must stick to their proposal except for any unforeseen circumstance they run into while performing the work. Then they must be upfront with how the service is affected and any additional cost.

if concerned about either, ask for references.
Spot on

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 92 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back