Reinforcing my floors

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings everyone,

In anticipation of setting up my 300 gallon aquarium, I realize I should get under my house and check the structure where my aquarium will go. The thing is, I don't know what to look for. I'm a pretty handy guy and would like to DIY this myself. Anyone know of any write ups or YouTube videos detailing this process. If I must, I will pay a contractor to come out and do it for me but again, I usually do things myself. Any input is much appreciated.

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was in same boat looking to upgrade to a 180

My tank sits flush with steel beam in house, running perpendicular to joists, 1/2 of the joists are sistered already for some reason and the other 1/2 are not. Joists are 2x10 which was informed better for sizing.

i can tell you at least in northern illinois structural engineers for evaluation costed anywhere from $700-$1200 just for evaluaton. Had one construction company come and look at floor for re enforcement and came back at $2300 to sister remaining joists. Another company came out and recommended an architectural firm to evaluate what really was needed as they told me yes we can add support, but if not needed then you’re spending money and they could give them a better plan on what to do.

the whole process has been nerve racking...

probably not helpful but my 2 cents

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always best to consult an expert first, doesn’t mean you can’t do the work though. A local structural engineer or architect may help but you might want to start with your local building inspector first.

Also do your home work before hand. I have friends in the trades but am doing a sketch of my stand to figure out how much it will weigh, aquarium size and weight, water weight....you get the idea. Most folks can calculate 8 lbs per gallon, it is all of the rest that also needs to be considered.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone,

In anticipation of setting up my 300 gallon aquarium, I realize I should get under my house and check the structure where my aquarium will go. The thing is, I don't know what to look for. I'm a pretty handy guy and would like to DIY this myself. Anyone know of any write ups or YouTube videos detailing this process. If I must, I will pay a contractor to come out and do it for me but again, I usually do things myself. Any input is much appreciated.
I would pay for a reputable contractor or eng to come out and look at 300 gal.... my joists are 2x10 , 14 inch centers and I located the tank (90) diagonal in a corner. All is good that way but noticed slight split (bout an inch that I filled with hydraulic cement) from foundation/ brick about 2 or 3 years after the fact....

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though it probably wasn't needed, I did reinforce my floor for my 120 gal tank. The picture below is what I did. I am in the process of upgrading to a 225 gal tank, and thus, I will further reinforce the floor with Jack post and a 6x6x10 beam.

703190-f2ae2a6c8e32046013be4ae5f01a60fe.jpg

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have a crawl space so one of the biggest factors will be whether it's a poured concrete pad or just earth. If it's a poured pad I'd probably take the approach that I do with tank stands and overbuild and reinforce to the point where it seems ridiculous. If it's earth then you're probably going to need to pour some footings first and in that case I'd probably look for some advice so I could be most effective with my effort.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It sounds like you have a crawl space so one of the biggest factors will be whether it's a poured concrete pad or just earth. If it's a poured pad I'd probably take the approach that I do with tank stands and overbuild and reinforce to the point where it seems ridiculous. If it's earth then you're probably going to need to pour some footings first and in that case I'd probably look for some advice so I could be most effective with my effort.
I do have a crawl space. I’ve got some friends who work in construction. They might be good references to talk to about this project. Although, I would still like to see some videos showing the extent of work required for reinforcement.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you snap a few pictures of the underneath. Depends a lot on depth of the joists and how many the tank will straddle. Even with an earth footing, it’s likely so compacted that a couple of jack posts will do the trick. That’s what I did for my 450.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pour a couple footings underneath and run a sistered up pair of 2x10 perpendicular to the joist you're concerned about. That will be way more than enough.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short of talking to a structural engineer the link from malacoda is probably the best answer you're going to get. Feel free to post pictures of where you want to put the tank as well as the area under the floor showing the joists and foundation. It never hurts to overbuild though when in doubt.
This article may provide some info to help you get started.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth pointing out that $500 - $1500 spent on a structural engineer will seem like a bargain compared to the cost of replacing your flooring if the tank splits a seam and puts 300g of water on your floor while you're at work or sleeping.
With that much water, you're not only looking at ruined carpet or hardwood/engineered wood top flooring. But also water logged sub-flooring that will likely get moldy or warp if it isn't replaced. Even tile laid on concrete floor can lift and separate when that much water seeps beneath it.

IMO...

For a tank 100g or under. A little DIY knowledge is more than sufficient to determine if a little bracing is needed.

For 100g - 150g, probably worth sistering some joists at a minimum.

150g and over, worth the cost of getting a licensed engineer ... or a VERY experienced contractor ... to take a look.

Again, just my humble opinion.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back