Reliable skimmer no longer reliable

jabx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Eshopps PSK-100 on two different set ups for over 10 years. I know it's not the best skimmer but it has always been good to me after I dial it in.

Recently, I have woken up/ come home to the filter cup over flowing with water. Whatever was collected in the cup is now back in the tank and saltwater is splashing outside of the tank.

The skimmer randomly stops pulling air. If I wiggle the air intake line it fixes itself and bubbles are created.

I have taken the skimmer apart multiple times and cleaned it, ran the pump in vinegar, ran vinegar through the air line. Nothing has seemed to work.

Is it time to just get a new pump/skimmer?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went away for training for 8 weeks, I would leave on Sunday night and get back on Friday, and on every Tuesday my skimmer would overflow, I would tell my wife to turn it off and I would deal with it on Sat. next Tuesday it would over fill again, so basically for 8 weeks my skimmer did not work, I never figured out why other than Murphy hated me. Yes I purchased a new skimmer. No more problems.

So I would check out your airline with a high good flashlight and make sure there are no dust bunnies anywhere in the tubing or Venturi. Also it could be simply the pump is starting to go out. What pump is it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had my Eshopps PSK-100 on two different set ups for over 10 years. I know it's not the best skimmer but it has always been good to me after I dial it in.

Recently, I have woken up/ come home to the filter cup over flowing with water. Whatever was collected in the cup is now back in the tank and saltwater is splashing outside of the tank.

The skimmer randomly stops pulling air. If I wiggle the air intake line it fixes itself and bubbles are created.

I have taken the skimmer apart multiple times and cleaned it, ran the pump in vinegar, ran vinegar through the air line. Nothing has seemed to work.

Is it time to just get a new pump/skimmer?
Problem may be, it was just right for your tank but once bioload is increased (added feedings or fish), it no longer is effective. Assure your lines from skimmer pump and pump itself is Not clogged.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Best Way to clean a venturi is with a drill bit (correct size) twisted between the fingers.

OP
OP
jabx1

jabx1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I cleaned the Venturi again with vinegar and hot water. used a bobby pin to really get in the opening and soaked my silencer attached to the air intake line and it seems to have worked ( 1.5 weeks so far)
I Hope Please GIF

Back