themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought some filter floss

Another cloudy day. You can see a lot of pods on the film algae, I take this as a good sign. Also, you can see the top of the water in my sump with a green layer on top.

D1BC2EC2-2CA8-496B-8BA5-209FB2338756.jpeg 8D304225-A521-46D2-ADD4-694DF5A0AC61.jpeg F3DBFAA9-F1F6-4E3C-9DDD-7BEAAAF04B02.jpeg

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing those pictures that is definitely not the same heterotrophic bacteria bloom I had. But rather a micro algal spore (phytoplankton) bloom! The pods are definitely thriving! Same correction approach applies... water changes, filter floss/socks and UV

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing those pictures that is definitely not the same heterotrophic bacteria bloom I had. But rather a micro algal spore (phytoplankton) bloom! The pods are definitely thriving! Same correction approach applies... water changes, filter floss/socks and UV
What is your current Phosphorus ppb or Phosphate ppm level? Testing before waterchange.....
Water change, filter floss to be delivered all today. I reached out with someone on craigslist that has a uv light, we are negotiating the price for sale. I don't have a test kit for phosphates, however I started running gfo in my spectrapure media reactor as I believe they are quite high.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I knew the conclusion of this thread, but it sounds similar to my issue.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a UV and the water will clear up. I bought the cheap "green machine" from petco and it works, even in my old 112 gallon system. I keep it in a drawer and use it for emergency purposes only. It seems like my tanks will have a bacterial bloom once every couple of years.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Thank you for your response.
I will see what others think before I pull the trigger.
I am torn between...quite a price difference and would like to go cheaper if others agree.

OP
OP
themcnertney

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I did a 30 gallon water change and added filter floss to my baffles in my sump. Did a quick check of the tank before work today. Couldn't tell if it was any clear as no lights were on, however, the amount of green in the filter floss was shocking. I knew it would be dirty, but the amount and color was pretty amazing. Looks like I'll be doing daily cleaning on them.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV will only kill what passes thru the reaction chamber. So you have to get things blown into the water column in order to even have a chance of killing it in the UV. Cyano or dino's laying on the tank bottom or rocks are unaffected by the UV.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back