Remora skimmer...

Layll318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that skimmers in general are not quite but this one seems really load. Wondering if anyone has any ideas? Don’t know if my wife will live with it for much longer lol

1DA97F33-1430-4F02-949A-47E6E17A0272.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Layll318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the paper towel trick but that didn’t reduce the sound a whole lot

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The remoras are loud in general. The pumps is quiet but the air intake for the venturi is pretty loud. Also because it produces skimate by forced water injection, it will always be loud. Dont think there is anything to do to quiet down the operation of this skimmer.

OP
OP
L

Layll318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Guess I’ll have to live because it makes water quality so much better...

OP
OP
L

Layll318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The compromise was to let it run when we are not home for the most part. I know it won’t do as much but I should still have some effect running 12 hours per day correct? I will have to set a sump... lol

OP
OP
L

Layll318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So still doing research... lol it seems like I’m getting vibration from the pipe running to the pump. when I hold the pipe I can feel the vibration. A friend told me if the pump is not forcing enough water though it could cause this problem? Because it’s second hand I don’t know how old the pump is.... I did tape something around it and it dampened the sound but clearly this is not a long term fix.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I remember is the remora was loud. Didnt try to sound dampen or anything. Just used it as is as the tank was in the basement.
Some people do only use their skimmer parttime... but I have no experience with that. The benefit of running skimmer full time is that it introduces oxygen in to the water so the pH will remain higher and stable.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back