Remote basement sump for small aquarium

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious does anyone have remote sump for smaller tank?

I have had several remote sumps however my aquariums have been 100+ gallons. I am setting up a smaller cube in a newer family room. Although I can put a sump in the stand. It does get a bit cramped once I start adding things. The equipment I have will handle the head pressure.

I am just thinking about water spills, and basically keeping the mess out of the room. Probably can route in/out pipes in a hole in the wall about the size of an electrical outlet. I did some nice wainscot and want to make sure this is something i want before cutting a hole in it.

Any thoughts/comments on remote sump for smaller tanks?

Thanks

sump1.jpeg sump2.jpeg

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek: ha... Well I do have a 100 gallon tank laying around but was not planning on going that large for the sump

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a remote sump could allow you to have a kick butt nano tank. Stability of a 100 gallon tank but the size of a 20 gallon. Only challenge I see is dialing in the return since you’d probably be dealing with a pump that has a 1” head

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done similar with a 65g cube. The only thing that got tricky is i initially had a small sump also. There was so much water in the lines that on shutoff of return pump it either overfilled sump or there was not enough water in sump when running. I dont trust check valves....so used a bigger sump.

Just something to think about that i overlooked as i never had that issue before with large tanks(because on those i had very large sumps)

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dc pump, Jaebo 10,000 on hand it says it has 6.0m Hmax so should be fine. It will only before return. I have ecotechs for flow in tank.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point... on sump size, nice thing about being in basement as there is room for any size sump. Heck I actually have a sump the size of the tank I could use if I wanted... Which opens up other options... The cube is 45 gallon. Like I said, just never had a remote sump for this small of a tank. Hmmm maybe the benefits may add up making the decision?

DaveC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took down a 40 breeder with a basement sump. It's quieter for sure, you just need to run to the basement for stuff. My new 150 I setup the sump under the tank for it's simplicity.

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so that is about the same tank size, with a remote sump. That's one... I was thinking it would be easier/simpler having every thing near a water source and drain.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so that is about the same tank size, with a remote sump. That's one... I was thinking it would be easier/simpler having every thing near a water source and drain.
I cannot imagine any significant setup challenges but can think of MANY advantages. Source and waste lines are just the for WCs are just the beginning; the possibilities are endless. Refugium, frag system, dosing/CaRX, quiet skim, slop sink, just to name a few.

Agree @mdb_talon observation about line volume. Great tip there. Go big. Keep it waist level for ease of access.

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I really can't do much for the title I may start another thread and call it a build or progress thread. The aquarium has been up and running, and i have several test corals in... (along with some zoas and a couple bigger coral that I bought at a cheap price) I like the idea of capturing a photo each month.
It will keep me on top of things. I also wanted to share my experience on how I approached the start up. I should have taken a couple photos. It was amazing, on seeing snails get the job done on the small little tuffs of hair algae that started on the glass. Surprisingly I had *no hair algae on rocks... Basically dry rock,seeded bacteria and rubble that I was able to obtain from old established tanks from fellow reefers/and stores...

Early pic of sump, still in process of figuring out where stuff will go and then I can clean up wiring with strategically placed outlets. This sump/equip is from 525 Red Sea. Pretty nice, almost the size of the aquarium ;) Small area will be like a fish room...

*YET...Will add a disclaimer, since at one time or another we all experience it

sump.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is interested I will post tank progress here....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back