Removal of Finnex heater controller?

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 500W Finnex titanium heater with the built in controller. I have it set up with my Apex. However recently, the heater itself started shutting down even when the Apex asked it to turn on. It turns on and off by itself. I even cranked the temp dial all the way up so that it would stay on, and now noticed that it just spins. I'm pretty sure the Finnex controller is pooched.

So my question is, can I just remove the Finnex controller all together and just solder the two wires together and just rely on the Apex to control the unit? Will the heater still work like normal if just hard wired without the controller?

VOzUNgA.jpg

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this will work
Open up the controll housing, there should be the 2 wires coming in for a/c and 4 going to the heater element. 2 run the heating element and the other 2 should be for the thermostat. If you follow the traces on the board for the controller you should be able to see witch ac wire is switched on to turn heating element on. Jump those two wires and the heating element will be on all the time.

I'd recommend also consider connecting this to an external controller such as an inkbird https://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com...vypdXvocd2zU&method=and&isort=score&view=grid

make sure you know switch wires run the heater and wich two are the thermostat.

OP
OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm usually pretty good an this stuff. But now i'm confused. Can I just remove the controller all together and connect the white and black wires? Then one of the leads from the thermostat to either the black or white?

tMEINOz.jpg

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove the whole controller, then connect the 2 white together then the 2 blacks together and just leave the 2 red wires disconnected. This will leave the heater on all the time, so I would connect to an external controller such as inkbird.

Bulk reef supply suggest to have external controller set to controll heat, and Apex set 1 to 2 degrees higher as the safety cut off.

I use the apex to controll the temp and the external controller set as the upper limit.

OP
OP
Luucky13

Luucky13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, thank you! I'll hook it up this way and order myself another controller for a safety backup.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back