Removal of the impeller from Red Sea pumps

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone managed to remove the impeller head from the Red Sea pumps?
8FC1B419-E6F3-4D96-B7B8-F9087F18511B.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you tell what return pump that the impeller from?

Reefer_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show us the impeller looking head on. If its like an Ecotech, theres a spring clip on teh end of the shaft, and youll need spring clip pliers to remove/reinstall correctly.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show us the impeller looking head on. If its like an Ecotech, theres a spring clip on teh end of the shaft, and youll need spring clip pliers to remove/reinstall correctly.

It’s a Red Sea RO-DC 3500
There is no spring clip, you can actually see straight through the whole impeller housing. I think its probably glued onto the ceramic shaft so it means you need to buy a whole new one as opposed to replacing the impeller itself (marketing tricks?) It also means you cant take the whole thing apart to clean it well.

image.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even from the first picture I thought that looked like an impeller from a Varios RODC pump. I was expecting that since that pump is used for both a return and a skimmer and therefore the impellers have both the vane style and the needle wheel heads that there would be more info about how to remove and/or switch them, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet. The good news is that the impellers are reasonably inexpensive but I understand your point about cleaning.

I know it is not what you are specifically looking for, but here is a link to a video from CoralVue about cleaning that pump.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even from the first picture I thought that looked like an impeller from a Varios RODC pump. I was expecting that since that pump is used for both a return and a skimmer and therefore the impellers have both the vane style and the needle wheel heads that there would be more info about how to remove and/or switch them, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet. The good news is that the impellers are reasonably inexpensive but I understand your point about cleaning.

I know it is not what you are specifically looking for, but here is a link to a video from CoralVue about cleaning that pump.

I looked and as you also found, there is no info on being able to remove the impeller itself. I had the impeller seize up in the pump. The pump was well cleaned but there was gunk in the ceramic bearing where you cant get to because you cant separate it.

I have seen the video already on my searches but thank you :)

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back