Remove duncan coral from plug.

ejim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a duncan from the lfs. It's on a plug. This is my first coral and I have zero experience on how to remove it from the plug and glue it to my rock work. I've googled and you tubed. In the picture I posted. Where exactly does the coral finish and the plug begin? Is the plug up side down where the plate is on the bottom and the stem part is on top, and the coral is attached to the stem part of the plug? If I were to try to snap the coral off from the plug, do I try to do it from where the big part at the bottom attaches to the little part or from the top of the little part to the brown/red part of the coral. Is the entirety of the the little part on top of the big part the coral because it looks like there's a distinct line of "flesh" ton something else.

If I use a dremel or shears to cut it, where?

Thanks for any help.

20180913_161213_resized.jpg

20180913_161224_resized.jpg

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut ofd the peg/leg of the plug. The coral is still attach to the flat part of the plug.

OP
OP
E

ejim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut ofd the peg/leg of the plug. The coral is still attach to the flat part of the plug.
I don't see a peg though, it looks like the flat part of the plug is glued to a flat piece of rock right below it. That's the way I got it.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it grow out some before cutting it away if you don't know where the plug starts. Out of curiosity what's wrong with how you have it mounted to the rock now? I think that looks pretty nice lol

OP
OP
E

ejim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it grow out some before cutting it away if you don't know where the plug starts. Out of curiosity what's wrong with how you have it mounted to the rock now? I think that looks pretty nice lol
Oh I just didn't like the plug there, attached to the flat piece of very edgy triangular flat piece of rock right beneath that it came with the coral. I facebook'ed the LFS's with the picture and they told me where to cut it.

Then I messed up the gluing because I was holding the coral upside down while using a non-gel type super glue, then the glue kinda started spreading down to the coral and I freaked out. Kinda weird too because the coral started getting all slimy. Learning experience I guess.

20180914_112647_resized.jpg

20180914_112640_resized.jpg

received_2661746577184078.jpeg

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, always interesting working with aquarium glue for the first time! The frag looks great and that's about where I would have suggested to cut it as well but I'm happy you got the answer from the LFS.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back