Remove/eradicate mushrooms

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But think of the Oxygenating Power you'll get....
billy mayes GIF
Oxygen don't matter if only bacteria left to consume it. Then I could start over with 400 pounds of dry rock and grow lots of hair algae. Mushroom problem solved!

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey John, how big is your tank? It would take me 5 weeks to give all my mushrooms a lethal dose. Then my alk would be like 34 DKH!
no, wrong.
Try it, try it, you will see. (Wear some eye protection, keep out of reach of children.)
If you are worried about chemistry just do a little more every day and watch your chemistry. If your tank is big - well worry less!

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, wrong.
Try it, try it, you will see. (Wear some eye protection, keep out of reach of children.)
If you are worried about chemistry just do a little more every day and watch your chemistry. If your tank is big - well worry less!
Should have used comic sans font (is that a thing on this site? Leftover habits of RC) I was kidding about the alk. Total water volume with sumps has to be over 500 gallons so no worries about chemistry. I have just come to realize that it is like plucking eye brows. They will always grow back.

OP
OP
artieg1

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for the suction device? It would have to have some serious suction to get all of the mushroom without leaving part of the foot. I have a similar problem and would like to try this.
You scrape the mushroom into pieces using the metal straw, and the pieces are small enough to get captured in the vacuum created by the siphon. Very little messy detritus is left in the tank. Basically like scraping your rock clean, without having to remove it.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought I’d piggy back on this thread rather than start a new one.

I made the mistake of putting a small rock with a couple red mushrooms to close to one of my main rock mounds. I have a 200 gal display and want to take out these shrooms before they get out of hand. My tank is mixed mostly LPS and SPS. These mushrooms are on the side of a rock mound fairly deep and since they are on the side it would be impossible to cover with aiptasia X. I’m thinking of an injection or the scrape and vacuum idea. How would you attack this problem?
22BF15E8-F63E-4207-8865-2E2EAB2B79E8.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back