Remove sand bed to cure Dino

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Is this a cure anyone has tried to kill Dino?

I suctioned a lot of the sand bed to remove and then dino came back a day or two later.

the blackout method is not something I want to risk for sps.

I am feeding Live phytoplankton.
I have a UV sterilizer.
I’ve been doing beneficial bacteria daily.

Not sure what else there is. Maybe waiting it out is something I should do as nothing good comes quick in this hobby ?

Last edited:

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that letting your tank get filthy is one method and another is peroxide dosing. But don’t take my word for it. Those are just potential paths to take. If you have shrimp, peroxide is out of the question.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I believe that letting your tank get filthy is one method and another is peroxide dosing. But don’t take my word for it. Those are just potential paths to take. If you have shrimp, peroxide is out of the question.
I have 3 shrimp and a Lobster

letting the tank get filthy?

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The method I used to get rid of dinos was very effective for me, and relies on dosing bacteria heavily. I made a thread here describing my experience and the steps I took. If you do want to try, I would be glad to hear it it worked or not for you.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 shrimp and a Lobster

letting the tank get filthy?
Yes, filthy. Like skip water changes so that you can build up some nutrients in the water column. I’m sure my recollection of how this works is wrong. But if my memory serves correct, in a low nutrient system dinos outcompete other forms of natural nutrient export. Again, it’s just a path you can look into and I may be completely wrong. But at the suggestion of my lbs about 5 years ago, I did a 3 day blackout, removed shrimp to another tank so I could peroxide dose, and let the tank run filthy (skimmer off and no water changes for a couple of weeks). One of those, or the combo killed my dinos.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind sharing how you Successfully mitigated the issue

Actually I didn't. I tried everything but the Dr. Tims method. Backouts, up nutrients, UV, peroxide, MB7, added live rock, manual removal, no water changes, dosed silica. At around six months I had to change out the tank, so I started over.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Actually I didn't. I tried everything but the Dr. Tims method. Backouts, up nutrients, UV, peroxide, MB7, added live rock, manual removal, no water changes, dosed silica. At around six months I had to change out the tank, so I started over.
Oh wow

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i
You did ?! And it worked successfully ??
i was battling dinos, GHA and bryopsis... i had coolia dinos... then large A. then Ostr. i said heck with this... removed sand in i believe 2 waterchanges over a few weeks... and now tank is spotless. almost to clean.. so i cant give total credit ffrom removal of sand... but i will say, i will never ever have sand again.. once barebottom ill never go back.. easy to clean.. turkey baster to the rock work and siphon all the poop off the bottom on waterchanges.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different types of dinos. A microscope ID is best as they respond differently to different types of treatment. For me, I dose H2O2 daily to prevent a return. I have had no problem with inverts or shrimp being affected. I dose the peroxide after lights out directly to the flow in the display. With dinos, there’s no quick fix. You have to make a plan and stick with it. Every tank is different and responds differently. So what works for one person, may not for the next.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
There are different types of dinos. A microscope ID is best as they respond differently to different types of treatment. For me, I dose H2O2 daily to prevent a return. I have had no problem with inverts or shrimp being affected. I dose the peroxide after lights out directly to the flow in the display. With dinos, there’s no quick fix. You have to make a plan and stick with it. Every tank is different and responds differently. So what works for one person, may not for the next.
Your inverts have no issues ? What’s your daily dose

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your inverts have no issues ? What’s your daily dose
I use 6%. 5mL daily for 130g. However, I’ve used a double dose before. I’m not aware of H2O2 affecting inverts however, there is a point where you can overdo it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back