Removing canister filter from established system

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
When I started my system 16 mo ago I used a canister filter for increasing biological filtration. Then slowly I added more live rocks and eventually a sump with more rocks.
Now after some time my system is where I want it to be, params are stable and growth is good in both sps and lps.
The problem now is that the canister filter is quite old and I am not sure whether it is the case to maintain it with all the risks connected. Also it accumulates a lot of detritus and there are tons of filter feeders growing in it. Now after months I decided to clean it from the mud settled in the bottom part and I started to remove some biomedia (roughly half). I am not sure whether I should keep it with the added benefit of increased nitrification surface (I have low no3) and go through the cleaning hassle every few months or just remove it and rely on the rest of the system. I fear that by removing it I would destabilise my nitrogen cycle and irritate my corals. Any suggestions?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How long has your sump been setup? I wouldn't be worried too much to take the canister filter off-line

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your sump been setup? I wouldn't be worried too much to take the canister filter off-line
For 10 months. But in the canister there is a lot of bacteria, would not a sudden change in the amount of filtration surface cause some kind of swing?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think with the added rock and stable sump you'll be fine. Your tank is already cycled and good to go. I'd take it down, less maintenance, money, etc. Best of luck :)

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think with the added rock and stable sump you'll be fine. Your tank is already cycled and good to go. I'd take it down, less maintenance, money, etc. Best of luck :)
This is good news thanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back