Removing encrusting sps from disks

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a coral saw and cut the coral off the plug. YT all the surface that is not encrusted off of the coral. The. Flu the coral on a clean rock

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a coral saw and cut the coral off the plug. YT all the surface that is not encrusted off of the coral. The. Flu the coral on a clean rock
Unfortunately, I don’t have a bandsaw. All I have is a dremel with 1.5” cut off disks.

What does ‘YT’ mean?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat for pests. Break the disk and then mount the pieces together but on top of a ball of putty so that there is not any uniformity to it - they will grow back together no problem.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat for pests. Break the disk and then mount the pieces together but on top of a ball of putty so that there is not any uniformity to it - they will grow back together no problem.
I kinda like that. I think I know what you mean.

itsnthe treating for pests part that is got me going in circles.

I usually remove from plugs, bayer dip, 2 rinses (15 mins each) then mount on a new disk. Then 3 weeks in QT with mollies as canaries for ich/velvet. Visual inspections for other stuff that got past dip. One of the bizarros has a spiritus worm growing out of one of the polyps. Uuhhhh. Then another dip a couple days before move to display

If I don’t completely saturate the encrusted disk with glue or epoxy- how am I going to avoid eggs surviving dip and hatching during the 3 weeks? I normally remove them when I pop them off the original plug/disk.

i guess I just answered my own question- I saturate the old disk with glue/epoxy like several people have mentioned.

cheers

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually cut off the stem of the plug and any non encrusted parts of the disc with bone cutters/pliers and use alot putty/superglue to cover up/seal anything exposed. Looks ugly at first but once it grows over you cant really tell.

20200613_002747.jpg
20200613_002717.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back