Removing Live Rock

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All:

Quick question regarding the removal of live rock. I'd like to remove one of the two "foundation" rocks in my nuvo 25 AIO. Will removing roughly half of the live rock destroy the tank? The tank is roughly 1.5 YO and also has some marine pure balls within the overflows. The goal in removal is more consistent flow in tandem with less dead zones...plus the visual appeal.

Current stock is small, 2 fish, 2 chalice corals and a lepto.

Thanks,
J

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a live sand bed as well a refugium associated with the AIO? If there is no sand and no refugium then that may cause issues, but if they are present than I don't imagine it would destabilize much. Just make sure to continue testing after it is removed. Most likely an established live sand bed by itself would be able to pick up the slack.

OP
OP
JakeLikesReefs

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a live sand bed as well a refugium associated with the AIO? If there is no sand and no refugium then that may cause issues, but if they are present than I don't imagine it would destabilize much. Just make sure to continue testing after it is removed. Most likely an established live sand bed by itself would be able to pick up the slack.
Don't know if my sand bed is deep enough to be considered "live"...But I do have one. Just recently set up my fuge w some Chaeto.

Thanks,
J

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back