Removing nem deep in rock.

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do I get my anemone to let go of the rock?
I don’t want to damage it’s foot. I can barely getto the foot.
If I point a power head at it how long does rhay usually take?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get my anemone to let go of the rock?
I don’t want to damage it’s foot. I can barely getto the foot.
If I point a power head at it how long does rhay usually take?

hammer and a screwdriver to break apart the rock around it.
Ppl say ice, hanging upside down, powerhead aimed at it. Those are basically myths. It may work but highly usually never does and just causes unnecessary stress.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hammer and a screwdriver to break apart the rock around it.
Ppl say ice, hanging upside down, powerhead aimed at it. Those are basically myths. It may work but highly usually never does and just causes unnecessary stress.
Okay I guess I’m just stuck with him. I can’t break the rock where he’s at.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I guess I’m just stuck with him. I can’t break the rock where he’s at.

try turning the rock in a different position so the nem comes out, it may take a day or so to a week but if it’s unhappy it will walk out.

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to remove a nem that hid in the back of my tank. I aimed the return straight at it and tossed him around pretty good. Next morning, he was completely moved. I def wouldn't say this option is a myth. If a nem is getting too much flow, it will absolutely try to reposition to stop getting tossed. I'm not saying hit him with a tornado of water but just make the flow a little more than he wants to handle on a daily basis.

One other option that worked for me was slowly sliding a credit card under it's foot (if you can reach) I did this very slowly for a 5" foot and it took about 45 minutes of slow progress. They're pretty hardy but it's like super glue under there. This method did cause some stress and he took about 24 hours to fully open up again.

You can also try putting an umbrella above him. Not an actual umbrella :) but block its light. The nem will hopefully realize he is not getting proper light and adjust position to find the light.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to remove a nem that hid in the back of my tank. I aimed the return straight at it and tossed him around pretty good. Next morning, he was completely moved. I def wouldn't say this option is a myth. If a nem is getting too much flow, it will absolutely try to reposition to stop getting tossed. I'm not saying hit him with a tornado of water but just make the flow a little more than he wants to handle on a daily basis.

One other option that worked for me was slowly sliding a credit card under it's foot (if you can reach) I did this very slowly for a 5" foot and it took about 45 minutes of slow progress. They're pretty hardy but it's like super glue under there. This method did cause some stress and he took about 24 hours to fully open up again.

You can also try putting an umbrella above him. Not an actual umbrella :) but block its light. The nem will hopefully realize he is not getting proper light and adjust position to find the light.
thanks for the suggestions. i think im gonna try to point a wave maker towards it foot maybe it will move.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on situation. If the nem has a hole/crevasse large enough to fully hide in, then aiming a pump at it often just makes it shrink into said hole/crevasse. If it's not anchored in a hole, then it's much more likely to move from prolonged direct flow as it has nowhere to hide. Hanging does work but it takes a long time and isn't always practical depending on size/shape of rock. When I hang, I use a plastic pipette to keep the nem wet and also poke/peel the foot at the point of contact if exposed.

U

User1

View Badges
Welcome to pests that can be a bigger PITA than Xenia or GSP. I started with one and peaked at 14 after giving some away and a few not making it through an upgrade I'm finally holding at 8. The problem now is that I used dry pukani rock as my base in the upgrade and it has so many nooks, holes, and what not it is impossible to remove them.

The best option honestly that doesn't stress out the whole tank is to aim a power head at it. As already noted do not go 100% full blast but a steady, constant, flow will annoy it enough to move. If after a day it isn't moving increase it a bit. You want it firmly in place but enough action and flow to pick up the base of it and move it. If that makes sense.

Also the light does work. You can place a rock above it or otherwise around it blocking it. It will get upset and move. Those really are your only options. Credit cards work if it is on the glass or round smooth rock. Ice will melt and won't last long eough. Your option is really limited to rock removal to carefully break around it, flow, and lighting. Anything else when that far into a rock is going to stress the tank, you, and the darn nem sadly.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to pests that can be a bigger PITA than Xenia or GSP. I started with one and peaked at 14 after giving some away and a few not making it through an upgrade I'm finally holding at 8. The problem now is that I used dry pukani rock as my base in the upgrade and it has so many nooks, holes, and what not it is impossible to remove them.

The best option honestly that doesn't stress out the whole tank is to aim a power head at it. As already noted do not go 100% full blast but a steady, constant, flow will annoy it enough to move. If after a day it isn't moving increase it a bit. You want it firmly in place but enough action and flow to pick up the base of it and move it. If that makes sense.

Also the light does work. You can place a rock above it or otherwise around it blocking it. It will get upset and move. Those really are your only options. Credit cards work if it is on the glass or round smooth rock. Ice will melt and won't last long eough. Your option is really limited to rock removal to carefully break around it, flow, and lighting. Anything else when that far into a rock is going to stress the tank, you, and the darn nem sadly.
okay thanks for the tips. hope i can get it off with the flow. i would like to not have to try and take my rock out. it keeps a lot of my other rocks up. its a base rock.

U

User1

View Badges
okay thanks for the tips. hope i can get it off with the flow. i would like to not have to try and take my rock out. it keeps a lot of my other rocks up. its a base rock.

I believe it. I ran into a similar issue as mine was on some rocks that I epoxied together. They are pretty for sure but also a real pain in the rear. If they find a happy spot they like it may not be what we like. And in my case it really limits coral placement because they can sting some corals. Some don't care, some do, and I really don't know who is on first with all of the chemical warfare :D

I never wanted one. Then one day my son was with me and said hey dad, lets get that rose bubble tip. I knew better but it was a nice color and a silly price. So why not, right? Few months later we have two, then three, then move some to a 29 gallon bio cube. It was lonely and another split. Tired of taking care of two tanks merge them into a 40 breeder and they just kept going. Never could figure out why and ended up upgrading to a 210 gallon tank and they are both low and high in placement.

Crazy things. In any case I wish you all the best. Gentle flow, increase a bit, change angle a bit, repeat. It may take a few days or may not. But don't give up. Maybe a few others may have more suggestions while you try this.

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What anemone is it? I’ve always had luck with BTA’s and Carpets with a massage of the lower foot applying gentle pressure. Takes about 5 minutes and they start to lift then gently run your nail (be careful not to catch it) against the lifted part of the foot and it should detach.
I would advise against moving anemones from chosen spots. There’s a reason it’s hiding, I’d suggest looking at what is making your tank inhospitable and resolve that otherwise he’ll just disappear again.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What anemone is it? I’ve always had luck with BTA’s and Carpets with a massage of the lower foot applying gentle pressure. Takes about 5 minutes and they start to lift then gently run your nail (be careful not to catch it) against the lifted part of the foot and it should detach.
I would advise against moving anemones from chosen spots. There’s a reason it’s hiding, I’d suggest looking at what is making your tank inhospitable and resolve that otherwise he’ll just disappear again.
I’m trying to remove it from my tank. It’s not in a bad spot just don’t want it anymore. It’s getting to big for my 32G biocube. But it’s deep in a rock so I can’t even get to the foot. It’s a Sherman bubble tip nem.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I think I’m just gonna leave him. I don’t want to hurt him and it’s not budging.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the rock an hung them upside down. It took 12 hours but the eventually let go. I was lucky in that I didnt have any other corals on that rock. I had tried all the other things for many many hours. - I tried credit card, - couldnt really get to the foot. I treid ice, i tried no light for 4 days . I tried high power head for 4 days... never moved. I had to keep basting them so they stayed wet.

20200412_112337.jpg 20200412_131519.jpg

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried all of the above with no success - unless they are on the glass - latest scheme is to move the rock into a tank of local ocean water which has less salt and is much cooler. Sorry to say that I just want my rock back.

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think of this long tentacle anemone? I bought it for 25 bucks years ago because I felt sorry for it and it has grown huge. I didn’t want it and I tried to kill it by stabbing it and cutting it and all kinds of things and it wouldn’t die. I am setting up a bigger tank and I thought about getting rid of it but my family thinks he is awesome and they want me to keep it.

image.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it to someone if you dont want it...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back