Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek: All sugar!? You know, I gave up soda some 20 years ago and now the only time I can drink soda is with liquor. Oh my gosh...are you giving up alcohol too?? If you're a coffee drinker, adding some sweeteners can really fill that void. Good luck to you!!

I actually started a little diet myself. Although, I don't consider this a diet. You've probably heard of it? They call it Intermittent Fasting. I fast two times a week for 24 hours a time or a day. Not only is it easy but it feels great. A lot of celebs are doing it and they swear by it. Some of the benefits are lower blood pressure, blood sugar, lower calories, increase metabolism, increase cognitive skills, increase awareness, and increase life expectancy. Although, I take some of that with a grain of salt. It is by for the easiest and cheapest diet I've seen. You also don't have to change your diet unless of course doctors ask you to get rid of sugars or processed sugar. :)

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My taste buds disagree!

Maybe I should have waited until after Easter. This is the true test. I think it was harder getting off pain meds after being on them for months.
I found that, at some point, the urge wanes a bit making it easier to manage.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek: All sugar!? You know, I gave up soda some 20 years ago and now the only time I can drink soda is with liquor. Oh my gosh...are you giving up alcohol too?? If you're a coffee drinker, adding some sweeteners can really fill that void. Good luck to you!!

I actually started a little diet myself. Although, I don't consider this a diet. You've probably heard of it? They call it Intermittent Fasting. I fast two times a week for 24 hours a time or a day. Not only is it easy but it feels great. A lot of celebs are doing it and they swear by it. Some of the benefits are lower blood pressure, blood sugar, lower calories, increase metabolism, increase cognitive skills, increase awareness, and increase life expectancy. Although, I take some of that with a grain of salt. It is by for the easiest and cheapest diet I've seen. You also don't have to change your diet unless of course doctors ask you to get rid of sugars or processed sugar. :)

Yea, I'm trying to give up all refined sugar for starters. I ate way too much of it. Greasy fattening foods always hurt my stomach since I was a child, so I tend to stay away from that. I eat pretty healthy otherwise and this is my last vice. My doctor didn't ask me to do this, but I honestly consumed more than the normal person.

One reason this is so hard is because I'm used to drinking hot tea with carnation evaporated milk and tons and tons of sugar. Evidently, as a baby I was given 1/2 strength Evaporated tin milk instead of formula, so I've been drinking it since day 1. When I used to get pains in my stomach as a child (which was often) my Mom would make me a hot cup of tea. Every night before bed, everyone in my province had toast and hot tea as a means of coming together. I think it's buried deep within my psyche at this point, and I'm greatly missing my comforting friend very much.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that substituting splenda or other stevia helps at times with that craving. Also, keep in mind that, once you've kicked the habit, it's okay to have small amounts infrequently. I don't know how you feel about artificial sweeteners, but there are some diabetic-friendly products out there that actually taste pretty darn good!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good for you! I can't say that I could do it though but I have sure limited my sugar intake! I'm down 23lbs since Mid Jan!

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave up sugar 6 years ago.
Do I miss it? You betcha.
You can somewhat fulfill the sweet tooth craving by going sugar free. It's not the same, but it'll do.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry it gets easier Renee! I can't even use sugar or cream in my coffee anymore, a few Splenda packets and I am good to go! Same with pop, it has to be diet or else it is too sweet for me. Pretty soon you will hate the taste of sugar;)

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you! I can't say that I could do it though but I have sure limited my sugar intake! I'm down 23lbs since Mid Jan!

Good for you!!!

I've been meaning to do this for a couple of years. If you didn't notice how much sugar I poured into my tea or coffee, you'd think I did pretty good. I just drink waaaaaaaaay too much. I still stay skinny, because it's a food replacement. It's not intentional, I just love coffee and tea so much. For awhile there it was energy drinks. Yikes! Being a night nurse for 20 years in an environment where sometimes you didn't get a chance to eat, you relied heavily on caffeinated or high energy drinks. Evidently, it was kind of my identity at work, as parents called me Full Throttle and people gave me caffeine themed gifts all the time.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry it gets easier Renee! I can't even use sugar or cream in my coffee anymore, a few Splenda packets and I am good to go! Same with pop, it has to be diet or else it is too sweet for me. Pretty soon you will hate the taste of sugar;)

I'm lucky that I don't like soda, besides a flavour I can't buy locally. I took it to heart that my Dad said something to me this last vacation. My parents don't think I eat enough, but the last time he made a comment about the sugar.

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job on making a healthy lifestyle change. Never going to be easy, but you'll be happy in the long run for sure. Sounds like you may need to spend some time and sugar money at your LFS.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back