Rene's 75g Journey

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great Rene! I like the hampster ball... ehem, i mean acclimation chamber. Lol cool idea :)

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great Rene! I like the hampster ball... ehem, i mean acclimation chamber. Lol cool idea :)
Thank you Meredith! The ball is a great idea for smaller fish. I discovered that when I placed the Blenny and the Foxface in there it wasn't quite large enough. It would probably work for one at a time, I was actually concerned that the Blenny would be poked accidentally by the spines on the Foxface, so I let them go into the tank sooner than I wanted to.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was hoping to have an update on a new Melanuras Wrasse, but it has been delayed. I'm getting one from Exotic Reef Creations, they do a complete quarantine and I decided to give them a try. They were getting ready to ship him out and noticed that he didn't seem to be doing well, so here I am waiting again. I don't mind as I want a completely healthy fish and I appreciate that they are taking such great care and being very cautious!

After all of my dipping and quarantining of my coral, I found flatworms in my tank yesterday. There doesn't seem to be very many, so I'm hopeful that I will be able to eradicate them without any major problems in my tank! :(

Flatworm.jpg

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh nooooooo.... Well getting that wrasse in there will address the flatworms too. Do they do a full quarantine on fish?

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to happy about the flatworms, but stuff happens. I was thinking the wrasse would like to snack on them, if I ever get it! :)

Yes, they do a complete quarantine. If you try to order from them, be prepared to wait a while. I was supposed to get a blenny and foxface from them, but finally ordered and quarantined them myself. They had an equipment failure and lost the fish they had for me. I understand that things like this can happen. My wrasse was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but like I said I would rather wait and have it healthy. We'll see how long I have to wait for it and how it does once I get it, I want two more wrasse and I'm hoping to also get them from Exotic. Time will tell!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to happy about the flatworms, but stuff happens. I was thinking the wrasse would like to snack on them, if I ever get it! :)

Yes, they do a complete quarantine. If you try to order from them, be prepared to wait a while. I was supposed to get a blenny and foxface from them, but finally ordered and quarantined them myself. They had an equipment failure and lost the fish they had for me. I understand that things like this can happen. My wrasse was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but like I said I would rather wait and have it healthy. We'll see how long I have to wait for it and how it does once I get it, I want two more wrasse and I'm hoping to also get them from Exotic. Time will tell!

That's awesome that they do that! I would still keep him in QT for a week or two- just observation. The only QT you can trust is your own QT.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome that they do that! I would still keep him in QT for a week or two- just observation. The only QT you can trust is your own QT.
Yeah, I've been going back and forth about that. This place has a real good reputation, so I think that they do a thorough job. Then again, I'm such a strong believer in QT that it will be hard to just place him into my tank!

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've been going back and forth about that. This place has a real good reputation, so I think that they do a thorough job. Then again, I'm such strong believer in QT that it will be hard to just place it into my tank!

I know I wouldn't risk it. It wont hurt just to observe the wrasse for your own peace of mind. When he comes out healthy and no problems then you can leave them some feedback saying so. It's good for both of you ;)

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first flood this last Friday! My skimmer decided to go crazy and started to overflow, some of the water found a path down the ATO cord! By the time we found it, there was water on the floor soaking into the carpet and it also soaked into the sheetrock of the stair way wall. My tank is in a finished basement, it sits on tile, but the rest is carpeted. I was pretty upset and felt really bad about the mess, but my husband was very calm, he got some heaters, we lifted the carpet up and got everything dried out. If this is the worst tank disaster I ever have I will be truly thankful! I have since moved the cord to the front of the skimmer, in the hopes that this will never happen again!

Skimmer Overflow.jpg

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my sorry to hear about that!
Hopefully your salinity didn't get too far off
Thanks Todd! There was actually much more to this story than I shared above! I was gone, mostly out of cell phone range, but by some miracle Dale got through to me for a very spotty conversation and a lot of can you hear me now ;). He's not completely familiar with my equipment so didn't catch that the skimmer, shouldn't be overflowing like that and wasn't sure where the water was leaking from. When I finally got home, I didn't see it right away either, it had been a very long day and I was a bit tired. Dale added RO/DI and thank goodness he's a smart man some SW. My salinity did drop 1.021, but it looks like everything survived and I'm slowly getting it brought back up.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohi good catch and quick thinking handled that well.
What was the original reason for the skimmer having a bad day?
Time to buy the helix 5000! Lol

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have no idea! I needed to clean it, which I was planning to do on Saturday.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean the air intake of that venturi :)
Seam failure is messy. Happened once in this house but did give me the chance to reseal the whole tank!

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad to report that due to some changes in my life, (good changes) I'm in the process of selling my tank! I've really enjoyed my time here and all of the friends I've made. Not to mention how much I've appreciated all of the advice and encouragement that I've received. This is the best SW forum with the best staff and members! Thank you so much everyone!!! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back