Repeated Power Outages Causing Issues…

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, let me state that I am not exactly new, but this has me frustrate… I moved recentl, and I literally lose power a couple times a week… I’m worried that I’ll never be able to have nice sps, at this rate… My last two houses I never dealt with outages this frequently!

I have a battery backup for circulation. Power loss for 3-6 hrs in Florida causes temp swings…. Having it a couple times a week it no bueno! I have a backup generator, but that’s for emergencies & not set up for multiple times a week…

my thought is …

a) get a whole house generator = 15 - 20k

b) smaller generator with ats switch for chiller & pumps - 10k

C) have small generator ready, with window shaker, and such installed… what a pain!

d) tap out… I’ve already dumped 13-15k into this, and thats fine… this is something I didn’t plan on…. Not sure it’s worth doubling investment.

this is like my 6th or 7th tank = Waterbox 180.5 with all the fixing… this is something I’m not used to fighting every couple days…

thoughts?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, let me state that I am not exactly new, but this has me frustrate… I moved recentl, and I literally lose power a couple times a week… I’m worried that I’ll never be able to have nice sps, at this rate… My last two houses I never dealt with outages this frequently!

I have a battery backup for circulation. Power loss for 3-6 hrs in Florida causes temp swings…. Having it a couple times a week it no bueno! I have a backup generator, but that’s for emergencies & not set up for multiple times a week…

my thought is …

C) have small generator ready, with window shaker, and such installed… what a pain!

d) tap out… I’ve already dumped 13-15k into this, and thats fine… this is something I didn’t plan on…. Not sure it’s worth doubling investment.

this is like my 6th or 7th tank = Waterbox 180.5 with all the fixing… this is something I’m not used to fighting every couple days…

thoughts?
What kind of temp swings are experiencing?

Is your asseration that the temp swings are a problem?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Why do you have outages that often?

Did you reach out to your utility whether its a temporary issue because they are fixing/upgrading/building something?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fear a lot of us are going to have to look at permanent solutions like those generac units. I think it's going to become necessary not just for our tanks but our homes. It's kind of scary actually. In the short term though have you look at a larger battery backup unit that is plugged in to keep it charged and then I think they switch automatically if the power goes out. I've been looking at these but honestly think I might save up for a generac type unit. I'm in Canada so it's a double whammy for possible outages in summer and winter.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re along the Florida coast, a whole home generator will be worth the cost, eventually.

I had a 20k Kohler with ATS installed a few months ago and it was about $12k overall. I only lose power for 10-15 seconds before the generator turns on.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I fear a lot of us are going to have to look at permanent solutions like those generac units. I think it's going to become necessary not just for our tanks but our homes. It's kind of scary actually. In the short term though have you look at a larger battery backup unit that is plugged in to keep it charged and then I think they switch automatically if the power goes out. I've been looking at these but honestly think I might save up for a generac type unit. I'm in Canada so it's a double whammy for possible outages in summer and winter.

yah, once people start plugging in their shiny new EVs to the already overwhelmed grid you know outages are inevitable.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my thought is …

thoughts?
I assume this tank is in a house that's 80 or so degrees during the day, perhaps a little warmer on the power outage days. You mentioned a chiller here but have you ever considered a simple bank of fans?

I ask because my house on energy rush hour days will shut down the ac for 2-4 hours at a time. The house temperature in some cases gets to 84 on the really hot days. I don't have a chiller at all, just a bank of small fans that are actually pc fans that are very low wattage and would be a good fit for a battery bank. This solution keeps my tank within 1 degree.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yah, once people start plugging in their shiny new EVs to the already overwhelmed grid you know outages are inevitable.
Ya. The problem is the power grids have not kept up with the times whether it's EVs, climate change, etc. They really need to look at getting people off the grid instead of continually having to expand it. Get everyone (residential, businesses) hooked up to solar panels and little tiny wind turbines in their yards and on buildings to remove them from the grid for at least 90% of the time and excess energy from their power generation can go back into the grid to power places that can't be taken off the grid. I think we're running into a situation where expanding the grids are going to last only for so long before it's just unsustainable.

OP
OP
geckoejon

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HuduVudu I have been watching the trends on apex, and there has been a 3+ degree swing plus and minus, when the power goes out…

I’m not an expert on sps & this is my first tank I’ve tried dedicating to it… I don’t think those temp swings regularly are good. Probably explains some of my color issues…

@BZOFIQ good question! Only answer I’m getting is “something came in contact with a line…” in on the edge of the country & I don’t think the power company trims properly.

@wculver that is a good idea, at least in the summer… maybe set them on a temp switch… it’s a shame because it’s rimless w/ floating hood. What a pita!

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@geckoejon my tank range is 72F - 86F the SPS are not impacted by this. I regularly see 4F+ degree changes in the summer. In fact when Ercot asked for people to conserve I saw easily 86F.

I live in Texas and the heat is real. I really only run my AC when it gets up to 85 and then mostly to knock down the humidity. My creatures are unplussed by this. Also watch the Sprung video I posted his pond is outside and he lives in Florida.

I think that you have another issue at play in your aquarium that is causing what you see.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my thought is …

thoughts?

Hear ya, the afternoon thunderstorms in the summer can be brutal power wise - all sorts of possible issues can arise like oxygen, temp, and if siphons don’t break as planned (oversizethe sump!) it can cause flooding and electrical issues.

We had a real oddball issue where our transformer was feeding a constant over voltage for several weeks - outlets we’re getting 660 instead of 110 volts, had no idea, appliances just started breaking and kept attributing it to the thunderstorm of the day. Finally came home one day and AC was dead and Reef pumps kept cycling on and off every 20 seconds - after ruling everything else out I tested an outlet and found the voltage issue.

Packed up kids, stayed at relatives, and power was out for 4 days. My battery backup can run a small pump for 7 days in my 75 gallon. Weather temp highs close to 100, came home a few days later and everyone was fine, water temp was elevated but not horrible.

My takeaway was to ensure I can run a little pump for a long time if ever needed. I don’t think there’s much to worry about as far as temps go. Id rather be here than in a snow storm needing to find kilowatts of energy to keep a heater on

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a standby whole house Generac installed for about $5,000 - about 3 years ago. I'm sure they've gone up in price, but when I hear these $15K price tags, I'm wondering how big these units are?! I have a 900g system sucking a lot of juice, and have a 11kw unit. Granted, I work from home so I switch off stuff and we don't have AC, but you should be able to configure things so upon power outage, only things that stay on are pumps and heaters/chillers - lights are the first thing that gets turned off...

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a standby whole house Generac installed for about $5,000 - about 3 years ago. I'm sure they've gone up in price, but when I hear these $15K price tags, I'm wondering how big these units are?! I have a 900g system sucking a lot of juice, and have a 11kw unit. Granted, I work from home so I switch off stuff and we don't have AC, but you should be able to configure things so upon power outage, only things that stay on are pumps and heaters/chillers - lights are the first thing that gets turned off...

In my case, 20kW -- large enough to power an entire 3k sq foot house in central Florida, AC, laundry and everything else.

Kohler is more expensive than Generac, but Kohler seems to be the more reliable brand according to generator mechanics I've spoken to.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably get away with less honestly - I'm at 2,500sq ft, but no AC so that might be the kicker. You probably can defer the laundry until the power comes back on? LOL. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably get away with less honestly - I'm at 2,500sq ft, but no AC so that might be the kicker. You probably can defer the laundry until the power comes back on? LOL. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

The AC is the main factor for a 20k. We live 2 miles from the coast and plan to be in this house for the next 30+ years (until we die). If we get a big storm and we lose power for a few weeks as a result, we want to be comfortable.

And given climate change and the increasing intensity of tropical cyclones, it's only a matter of time.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HuduVudu I have been watching the trends on apex, and there has been a 3+ degree swing plus and minus, when the power goes out…

I’m not an expert on sps & this is my first tank I’ve tried dedicating to it… I don’t think those temp swings regularly are good. Probably explains some of my color issues…

@BZOFIQ good question! Only answer I’m getting is “something came in contact with a line…” in on the edge of the country & I don’t think the power company trims properly.

@wculver that is a good idea, at least in the summer… maybe set them on a temp switch… it’s a shame because it’s rimless w/ floating hood. What a pita!
Yeah it's a good summer option with far less power and hassle than a chiller. There are actually affordable nice looking fan banks that would mount to a floating setup. You could then run the power cable along with your lights and should look clean.

I also have a dual controller that has a high/low and will initiate power to whatever side needs it for heat/cool within 1 degree. Then I have my controller with a temp probe in the sump and the tank to make sure something doesn't go poorly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back