Repeated Power Outages Causing Issues…

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if you are thinking power outage for weeks - yes, it sounds like a worthy investment for sure!

The cost of the generator itself was only about half the final price. The other being installation. So maybe we could've saved $2k by using a smaller generator? At that point, why not just get the one that can handle everything. At least, that was our thought process.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yah, once people start plugging in their shiny new EVs to the already overwhelmed grid you know outages are inevitable.
Definitely if it happened overnight...I guess the electrical companies better start investing in the infrastructure to support it then, since people will buy what they like, and the power company is to provide power to their paying customers, eh? Seems like a good business move.

In any event...why not a smaller portable power unit or a propane generator? Can get one for under 400-500 that could generate enough wattage to run your tank and a fan for long enough to keep it stable.

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider an EcoFlow battery bank with built in inverter. This brand utilizes a switch to cut over to battery power during an outage (like a UPS). Something you rarely see in a solar generator (portable battery bank) like this. The 720 watt/hour version is currently only $529 which is one of the best watt/hr per dollar prices I've ever seen. If you need additional capacity, then their Delta Max or Pro versions jump up quite a bit in capacity. 720 watt hours will provide 200 watts for 3.5 hours or 100 watts for 7.2 hours.

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150 gallon tank uses about 50 watts during the day with a DC return, DC skimmer, 3 Hydros controllers and 4 Nero 5's (2 running at time). This does not include my lights or heaters btw.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back