Replace your filter socks with the Filter Media Cup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
I just received two in Thursday and installed them on my Red Sea Reefer 425xl. Perfect fit without the rings provided. They are also extremely solid. I’m pretty sure I could stand on them and they wouldn’t collapse.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I just received two in Thursday and installed them on my Red Sea Reefer 425xl. Perfect fit without the rings provided. They are also extremely solid. I’m pretty sure I could stand on them and they wouldn’t collapse.

Rings? Do you mean the adapter kit?

Do you think the 425xl has the same size filter socks as my 170?

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, you will get a ring with each one and it is not necessary for the reefer series aquariums. Red Sea only sells one filter sock for the whole reefer series, so that means my sock holder should be the same size as yours.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, you will get a ring with each one and it is not necessary for the reefer series aquariums. Red Sea only sells one filter sock for the whole reefer series, so that means my sock holder should be the same size as yours.

OK, so I won't need the combo:
https://www.marinedepot.com/Filter_...imer_Machine_Shop_LLC-6V587521-FIFMME-vi.html

I just need the actual cup:
https://www.marinedepot.com/Filter_...Rimer_Machine_Shop_LLC-6V58752-FIFMME-vi.html

Thank you so much for the replies!

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Ah bummer =P

Thank you so much! I'll order it for mine. I'm also getting a bunch of MarineLand filterfloss to put in it. What are you using in your cups?

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002565PW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I’m using filter bags to add a little bit of rox carbon. I’m also going to use a little rowaphos in a bag in the other when needed. Right now my phosphates are a little low. Then I have some of that blue/white filter mat that I cut into a circle and stuffed into the bottom. That’s really to keep the media from escaping. Just got them, so I think I will just play around with it a bit. I have two holders in the 425 sump. Filter floss sounds like a good idea also

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
I received two (ordered cups only, no rings) and the fit perfect in my Geos Reef Custom Sump (that had 4" filter socks) so I think they will work for any Geos Reef Sump then. The silencers I had from Geo I was using in the socks didn't fit 'in' the cup as they don't have a little lip for them to sit in so I have the silencers sitting on top and they are working just as well (quietly) for me.

I am ramping up running the triton method on this system so wanted to get away from filter socks and this worked perfect.

I wish they came in 7" sizes as I would order several for my other systems. Thanks for carrying this product.

dmuldoon45

View Badges
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s the sock but my filter media cup keeps overflowing. I’ve tried sponges lightly pack and filter floss. Can’t seem to stop the over flow. Any suggestions

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
How much flow through the cup? I have two handling about 450 gallons an hour. One just has some filterfloss and the other has filter pad cut to size in the bottom and a filter bag with carbon in it.

Edit: also had a couple holes in one that had some plastic flash from the molding process. I removed that. Make sure all the holes in the bottom are clear

dmuldoon45

View Badges
Reaction score
Can’t really tell the flow through my tank. I have not calculated head loss etc. I have dct 8000 running at 40 percent in my 60 gallon total frag.
fc1f23e35f3cf3a2352529e055e67d16.heic

If I turn down to 10 percent it drips over every once in a while.
8a90c002b0b936f5fb6dd05a856a3c1e.heic

11afbaf7c2e3bbef88015fb5c13f6c2c.heic

Last edited:

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Can you look to make sure all the bottom holes are completely “punched through”

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Also you might want to put some type of small rubble or media that will hold the filter floss up off the bottom holes

dmuldoon45

View Badges
Reaction score
I got rubble rock [emoji4]. Let me check what’s up with the holes on the bottom I didn’t even check that

Holes are good
0ab126b23d69e1f1d93cc032166ec2f0.heic

Added rubble rock
45a94e642989e2c43417e4cc48a270dc.heic

Seems to fix the problem so far. Hopefully it will last. Tried switching filters twice and it’s seemed to work for a while then the over flowing starts again.
8b35dd3a5388acf469b1ee4d1e01f2bc.heic

Last edited:

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
This probably works the same as the principle of putting stones in the bottom of a flower pot to support drainage. Just need something in the bottom of the cup to keep the floss from clogging the holes.

dmuldoon45

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah when you said that I was like duh!!!! I would like to turn my pump up to 60 percent eventually. Think I would just add more rock will allow more flow through. Or maybe cut between some holes to combine for bigger holes.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Using a course sponge filter material on the bottom would work best i think. Some of that stuff that traps larger stuff but never clogs up.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I bought this:
Marineland PA0100 Bonded Filter Pad, 312-Square-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002565PW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_p4e3zbBZ651J5

$4.50 and I just cut a perfect circle to sit at the bottom of the cup. This will last me at least half a year or more I predict and I can just toss the small circles after instead of washing.

I run a VarioS-4 as a retune at about 85% through one filter cup, no overflowing!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back