replacement vials for salifert test kit?

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You beat me to it. :)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get a couple of new ones when you order a new Salifert test kit.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know @jsker buys vials for something....my sieve mind just can't remember for what....Hanna, Salifert, Red Sea, making hooch??? Hopefully he'll reply. If he's making hooch, let me know! :cool:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a magnetic stirrer for my testing and toss all the test kit vials and use 10 and 20 mil beaker for testing. The beakers are much nicer then the plastic test vials with the graduated measurements. I also keep extra beaker on hand if I test more than once a week. Makes better hooch also ;) ;Hilarious I wash all of my test beaker and cuvette in the dish washer after testing and then give them a quick rinse with distilled water before testing.

I agree with @RandyC and I buy the maple syrup test cuvettes to replace my cuvettes.

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidently cracked my po4 and nitrate test vials does anyone have any replacements for these they recommend?
I've also cracked a couple salifert vials. Could have sworn I saw replacements somewhere but can't find them now. Thought about using the Hannah replacements, but how does it change the readings, like when you're supposed to read them from the top or side??

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also cracked a couple salifert vials. Could have sworn I saw replacements somewhere but can't find them now. Thought about using the Hannah replacements, but how does it change the readings, like when you're supposed to read them from the top or side??

Yeah, i’ve always wondered this as well.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i’ve always wondered this as well.

From my research they do not make replacements you pretty much have to buy a new test kit to replace them with or have a friend with a old set of vials willing to part with them. the salifert ones are 30ml the hannah ones are too small unfortunately. I have been on the search in my local club but no one seems to have any :(

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some cheap plastic test tubes will work for salifert tests.

just need to be able to stir them for $10 can get like 50 with a plastic stand.

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some cheap plastic test tubes will work for salifert tests.

just need to be able to stir them for $10 can get like 50 with a plastic stand.
Yes, you can get plastic or glass test tubes on Amazon or what have you, however, my concern is with the reading of the results. There's clearly a difference in some tests between reading them through the top of the vial or through the side of the vial, which makes me wonder if it's due to the specific design of the salifert vials. Maybe it's due to the fact that they're square on the bottom, or maybe there's magnification or something in the sides? I don't know. But that's my biggest concern with buying different ones. I don't want inaccurate readings.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem lies in the reading of the results if they are not done in the vials provided. Because you will be looking through more (or less) solution, the colors will not be accurate.

I save all the vials from old test kits for just that reason. I have three different systems running right now so I just use three vials and do them all at the same time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back