replacing ro filter storage tank question

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally replacing my crappy whirlpool ro filter with a brs ro/di filter tomorrow I was wondering should the storage bottle be cleaned before I hook up the new one I've had it set up for about 4 years is that something that needs to be done on a regular basis and do those tanks ever need to be replaced?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it hurts to give it a swab down with a light bleach solution once every few years.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you referring to? A drinking water pressure tank?
If so you do not want a pressure tank on a reef RO/DI system, they store TDS creep and kill DI resin.

You can install a tee and check valve to isolate the drinking water completely from the DI and have both though as seen in this drawing.
http://www.spectrapure.com/huds/4-STAGE-DWK-RODI-NAG.pdf

Did you order the BRS system with an autoshutoff valve installed? If not and you do have the pressure tank and drinking water system you will want to use your old ASOV and plumb it to the new system again as seen in the drawing.
And yes, flush the pressure tank out well to remove the built up solids in it. The constant short on-off cycles with a drinking water system cause bad TDS creep and that first shot of high TDS water goes right into the pressure tank every time until the stored TDS is as high as the tap water in some cases unless you completely drain the pressure tank every 10-14 days and allow it to refill completely with fresh RO.

OP
OP
spscrazy

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I believe it to be a drinking water pressure tank it was a system by whirlpool from lowes came with prefilter then ro filter then post filter then into the storage tank then to the ro faucet on top of the sink the one I got from BRS is the 75gph per day 4 stage value system I bought a new ro faucet handle because I read the older ones can contain lead and this one is certified lead free so I can bypass the tank and just hook up the blue line to the faucet?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not hook the metal faucet to the RO/DI as RO/DI is very agressive and will attack the metal parts of the faucet.
You would use the faucet on the RO only water for drinking and use a plastic ball valve on the RO/DI for the reef.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(grumble....the new app doesn't save draft posts when you tab out to do something else, and apparently the URL link button is broken as it eats the display text that you try to link. Rapidly defeating the point of this app.)

On the RO/DI water being aggressive, that's no lie. Water's the ultimate solvent. You know water even corrodes glass?

-Matt

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back