Replacing tangs

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I currently have a 110g reef tank. I have a high stock level with 4 tangs and a few smaller reef fish.
Tangs: Small Blue tang, Tomini, Medium purple tang, medium naso tang.
I am planning on removing and rehoming my Purple and Naso and replacing them both with 1 or 2 juvenile tangs. Blue tangs and tominis aren’t as aggressive naturally so I was thinking of adding a Juvenile Dejardini tang and a small powder brown/blue.
Any suggestions or ideas for new fish would be appreciated.

maxwellsmart455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't try for anything passed 2 medium-large size tangs in a tank that size. just my personal opinion long term

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense , the ones I’ve had were all small when first introduced and have been in the system around 8 months so 2 of them will need to be replaced.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from the powder blue… I tried one and she went from a very cute and mellow tang to a murderer. Was circling and picking on my baby yellow tang one day so out she came. Everyone says to stay away from the powder blue and browns cause of their aggression level. I was like eh every fish is different and got one. Nope that was a bad move, people here convinced me to remove her and my tank is way calmer without her

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I’ve heard they aren’t as aggressive if not introduced first. Thanks!

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally every tang aggression list ranks powder brown and powder blue near the top.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto for me — I have a powder brown along with a hippo, yellow and purple tang. They were getting along fine for 8+ months until last week where he was bullying & beating up the smaller yellow tang. Well — he’s sleeping in the sump atm!

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto for me — I have a powder brown along with a hippo, yellow and purple tang. They were getting along fine for 8+ months until last week where he was bullying & beating up the smaller yellow tang. Well — he’s sleeping in the sump atm!
The powder brown starting bullying the yellow?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I’ve heard they aren’t as aggressive if not introduced first. Thanks!
Yep read that too, was fine for a month. Beautiful fish. Then she snapped and well lets say I tried everything not to get rid of her but realized with the help of other reefers here that she just had to go

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep read that too, was fine for a month. Beautiful fish. Then she snapped and well lets say I tried everything not to get rid of her but realized with the help of other reefers here that she just had to go
I see, i've definitely heard different stories about the powder blue and powder browns

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back