mjaquarium02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

I just joined the saltwater gang and bought my own 10 gallon tank. It’s small BUT we gotta start somewhere. Anyways, it’s already cycled and therefore it already has fish in it ( a clown fish) and live rocks. Since my first goal was to set up this tank for fish and get it within the normal parameters, I don’t know how to start focusing on adding corals. I was thinking in adding soft corals and make this tank a “softie” I heard it’s great for beginners and requires basic equipment. But what do i need to do to the saltwater tank that I have now to transition it into a reef tank. I’m assuming the corals will obviously need calcium and all of that good stuff so for a softie tank is “Reef Crystals” enough? In other words…how can I prepare the water for the corals??
I’ll take any advice I can get…
I hope you guys get where Im going with this hahaha. Thanks in advance!!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 10 gallon soft coral tank, all you really need is a light. Water changes will become the main source of filtration.

My 15 gallon soft tank has just a hob filter to run carbon, and 2 small powerheads on either side of the tank.

You should also get some proper test kits (not API), if you have any issue and post here for help, the first questions are always "what are your parameters". If you go into lps or sps corals, then testing is much more important. Calcium is not so important for soft corals, since they don't build a skeleton.

You should be using rodi water for corals, that way you know you have the purest water. Tap or well water can contain things we can't test for.

10 gallon tank is very small, so you don't want to use too much equipment or it can become unsightly pretty fast.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back