Resealing Two Seams

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I've asked around and this seems like a loaded question.
I need to reseal my two, front seams on my 180 RR tank. The bottom and back seems are fine. No discoloration, peeling, etc. The front two are ragged so I'm going to remove the old silicone and reseal them.
I know it mostly comes down to "do you trust it?" and "if you're ok with it..." but I wanted to know if I'm ok with just doing those two seals. The overflows could be redone, but mostly for aesthetics. The rest of the tank is fine.
Do I have to reseal the ENTIRE tank or am I ok with just doing the two? If anybody has done this, I'd really appreciate the input.
Thanks!

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend doing the whole shebang. If pulling only 2 seals, it's a matter of time before the others start to deteriorate which means another breakdown and reseal. I've got a 90 corner sitting around I'm about to do a full reseal on just so I can learn how. I've been doing a lot of homework on resealing here lately. If you reseal the entire tank, you will have a smooth bead around the entire tank without having fresh silicone layered on top of old silicone where the corners meet. Less chance of seperation and a leak at those meeting points. Just my .02. Best wishes on the project whichever direction you go.

OP
OP
HardCory

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend doing the whole shebang. If pulling only 2 seals, it's a matter of time before the others start to deteriorate which means another breakdown and reseal. I've got a 90 corner sitting around I'm about to do a full reseal on just so I can learn how. I've been doing a lot of homework on resealing here lately. If you reseal the entire tank, you will have a smooth bead around the entire tank without having fresh silicone layered on top of old silicone where the corners meet. Less chance of seperation and a leak at those meeting points. Just my .02. Best wishes on the project whichever direction you go.
Yeah...the more I think about it, the more out just makes sense to do the whole thing.
By the by, I'm actually upgrading from a 92 corner myself. Great looking tank, just a pain as far as fitting equipment and lights!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll need to reseal the whole tank if your tanking panels apart.

Its not easy just did my 200 and its full today!

Razor blade, steel wool and a steel wire brush. Take off oils of silicone with a microfiber cloth. Re sealed with ge scs1200 silicone. Messy, and dries so fast you only got 2 mins to remove tape...

Good luck!

OP
OP
HardCory

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll need to reseal the whole tank if your tanking panels apart.

Its not easy just did my 200 and its full today!

Razor blade, steel wool and a steel wire brush. Take off oils of silicone with a microfiber cloth. Re sealed with ge scs1200 silicone. Messy, and dries so fast you only got 2 mins to remove tape...

Good luck!
Thanks for the input, but I'm not removing any panels. I'm just redoing the inside seams. You think I still need to do the whole thing?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, but I'm not removing any panels. I'm just redoing the inside seams. You think I still need to do the whole thing?

You dont have to if its just the outer protective layer. But in order that it will stick all the old needs to be removed. Razor blade, 000 steel wool then microfiber cloth.

I wouldnt worry about that seal just the interior seal would make me do that.

OP
OP
HardCory

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont have to if its just the outer protective layer. But in order that it will stick all the old needs to be removed. Razor blade, 000 steel wool then microfiber cloth.

I wouldnt worry about that seal just the interior seal would make me do that.
Sounds like a plan

jkapit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you don't have to resell the rear ones if it's only the front two that need repair.

I re-sealed my front two since coralline algae worked its way into the seams while the rear corners were like new.

Good luck with the repair.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only resealed my front two seams as well... only because the previous owner was being a little carried away with his scraper in the corners. But, the silicone between the psnes of glass had no damage or imperfections... therefore, I felt comfortable only replacing the protective outside layer. When you use the razor blade to cut and remove the old silicone, make sure you don't stab or wrip into the seam between the panes of glass! It really was an easy repair to do... tons of YouTube videos showing exactly how to do it cleanly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back