"Research"

What is "Research"?

• Looking up internet information.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Following the scientific method with a hypothesis, experimentation, and a control group.

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • A word we use to describe our learning process.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Gathering anecdotal information from others.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • The truth.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Like others have said it certainly depends on the setting, but at the very least and in a hobby setting it should be gathering data/answers from multiple sources comparing the results an hopefully finding some commonality from those multiple sources so the the conclusion you draw has a better chance of being useful/successful in you own application

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife, yesterday: "I don't know the difference between these two smart faucets, can you research them? That's your thing."

Me: googles "difference between x and y," shows results

her: "well, you do all the research, can you just tell me the difference?"

me: "Literally just google the question you asked me"

her: "ok well I still want to know"

me: watches as yet more of my hair falls out

As far as what is considered research? Most sources state that it can be both testing hypotheses AND/OR assembling a body of knowledge. By it's nature, experimentation is research. But research encompasses far more than performing experiments.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, "true research" is the scientific method applied to test a hypothesis, the results of which are reviewed by peers before presentation to others.

Over my career though, I've been prone to doing more "gray research" - where I set up a quick informal study to test a hypothesis, get results, and then never take it the next step for peer review as that is too difficult/time consuming. While that technique gets me answers quickly and easily, I then have difficulty presenting that information to others without being able to "prove it".

Funny thing - for over a decade, my own experience had shown me that activated carbon causes HLLE. I could never get much traction with that idea, and was branded a bit of a heretic. I decided to run a formal study, and the hypothesis was supported, a second study by Disney got the same results. Trouble is, it took people a long time to come around to this idea, since their own "research" on the internet and in books told them that wasn't true (grin).

Jay

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: this is not all-inclusive. Just meant to show that experiments are research, but not all research is experimental in nature.

research.jpg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what google has as the definition
"the systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions"

You're wife is probably right when using research with this definition. I bet she has a system in place to gather info, and after studying that info can establish facts like
- granite from this area tends to be "softer" because it has X mixed in the rock and scratches easier
- This company does a great job cutting the counter tops compared to company Y over here
- adding XYZ finish to it will stop any staining from happening, but will add to the cost

But anyway, go with a quartz countertop. Way more durable than granite

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thank you everyone for your well thought out responses. I agree with many of you, disagree with some, but will not comment on any individual post to remove the appearance of potential trolling. That is not why I made this poll. I made it for me, to better understand how people felt about the "process" called research. I am pleasantly surprised.

Well done!

I will go through and drop likes on posts that I particularly agree with 100%. Not that I am correct, just my opinion.

A couple general points I will suggest are: "There is no proof." and "Science is a Team Sport."

"Proof" is never mentioned in the scientific method. You could repeat an experiment a million times, and you could never know that on the millionth and first time, you would achieve a different result.

Peer review is a requirement of the scientific method, and usually leads to more "research".

Cheers Everyone!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back