Resetting Apex Classic

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a silly question, but my apex is having an odd power issue. I would like to reset the unit back to factory settings and either setup fresh or load my current profile back on to it (i have it saved from within direct web portal, not fusion.)

Problem is, I do not have a display unit. And refuse to spend $100 for one just to reset this thing. Anyone know how to reset it either through fusion or through the direct web connection?

Thanks

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a silly question, but my apex is having an odd power issue. I would like to reset the unit back to factory settings and either setup fresh or load my current profile back on to it (i have it saved from within direct web portal, not fusion.)

Problem is, I do not have a display unit. And refuse to spend $100 for one just to reset this thing. Anyone know how to reset it either through fusion or through the direct web connection?

Thanks
If you look on the bottom of it you will find a pin hole. Stick a paper clip in it and push down on it for about thirty seconds.
Unplug it from all power then plug it back in.

Make sure you know the IP addresses or all the information ( apex.local) that you need to get back into it.

On their website Neptune has a utility you can use to find that out.

Also I believe ) I have had the classic in a long time so I don’t remember) but there may be in the web a way to reset it as well

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

Out of curiosity, what’s the odd power issue?

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, what’s the odd power issue?
The entire apex shuts off, all outlets shut off, the entire tank goes offline for about 3 seconds. Then everything turns back on. This happens multiple times a day.

I have ruled out a bad powerstrip/surge protector
I have the EB8 and EB4 plugged directly into the wall
No other electronics in my house or on that breaker lose power throughout the day

Its super weird, the entire tank just shuts off. Then about 3 seconds later starts to come back online.

Also odd to note, One of the rules I have programmed is that my skimmer needs to be off for 10 minutes any time the return pump is off to avoid overflowing, but everytime the apex does this thing and comes back up my skimmer is online right away as well.

I am going to try a couple things today, then fully reset-reprogram the thing. If this doesnt work, I may jump ships over to GHL as I have been playing with that idea anyways

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried unplugging your Ethernet cable for a day and see if the Apex still is rebooting? This was happening to my Apex Classic and it ended up being my ISP and a network switch that I was using causing my reboots. Once I replaced the switch it was better, but then changing my ISP I had no more random disconnects.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had hanging APEX classic head units due to a faulty external flash chip which required replacement. Never the reboot cycle though.

My APEX is in a different VLAN which avoids the quirks of normal traffic.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried unplugging your Ethernet cable for a day and see if the Apex still is rebooting? This was happening to my Apex Classic and it ended up being my ISP and a network switch that I was using causing my reboots. Once I replaced the switch it was better, but then changing my ISP I had no more random disconnects.

Ironically I am also having issues with my home network as of late. I can run a constant ping and it will often drop packets randomly. I'm gonna give Comcast a call.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, I am glad I was just surfing and found this. Having the same issues.
Comcast resetting some of my settings I think fixed it. That or replacing my modem did. It was 100% network related however

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know for sure you have the latest firmware installed on it?
About a year ago many were having the exact problem you describe and downloading the newest firmware was the fix.
Glad you got it going.

DCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know for sure you have the latest firmware installed on it?
About a year ago many were having the exact problem you describe and downloading the newest firmware was the fix.
Glad you got it going.
Yes I do. I think I tried to load the latest firmware and I just spins saying that it is loading and nothing happens.

reefchevy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire apex shuts off, all outlets shut off, the entire tank goes offline for about 3 seconds. Then everything turns back on. This happens multiple times a day.

I have ruled out a bad powerstrip/surge protector
I have the EB8 and EB4 plugged directly into the wall
No other electronics in my house or on that breaker lose power throughout the day

Its super weird, the entire tank just shuts off. Then about 3 seconds later starts to come back online.

Also odd to note, One of the rules I have programmed is that my skimmer needs to be off for 10 minutes any time the return pump is off to avoid overflowing, but everytime the apex does this thing and comes back up my skimmer is online right away as well.

I am going to try a couple things today, then fully reset-reprogram the thing. If this doesnt work, I may jump ships over to GHL as I have been playing with that idea anyways
Hello... my apex is doing the same thing! It’s driving me nuts lol did you figure out how to fix it? I would greatly more then you know appreciate it, I’m tired of going round an round with Neptune cause they can’t figure it out

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same issue in the past and finally resolved it by calling my IP company and having them reset the internet connection. You could also try to reset your modem to see if that does it.

reefchevy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same issue in the past and finally resolved it by calling my IP company and having them reset the internet connection. You could also try to reset your modem to see if that does it.
Thank you I will give them a call and reset my modem... this is super frustrating I’ve been trouble shooting this for 2 months with Neptune an nothing. Random shut downs and text alarms up to 10 times a day I’m over it

reefchevy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will give them a call and reset my modem... this is super frustrating I’ve been trouble shooting this for 2 months with Neptune an nothing. Random shut downs and text alarms up to 10 times a day I’m over it
It’s odd too because I have a apex jr that runs my eb8 and only the eb8 resets, not the eb4 head unit

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a while to figure it out as well. I was having some slight internet problems one day and ended up calling them unrelated and it fixed all my Apex issues at the same time.

reefchevy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a while to figure it out as well. I was having some slight internet problems one day and ended up calling them unrelated and it fixed all my Apex issues at the same time.
Well I had my IP reset my connection and modem tonight an the eb8 is still turning off an on.....I received my new EB8 I ordered tonight so I’ll swap it out and see if it stops

reefchevy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having this same problem but I’m not computer literate at all lol....what is ISP? And how do I change it?

obaptista

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ISP = Internet Service Provider. Isolate your Apex from the internet and Reboot. If it holds steady with no issues other than telling you that it can't reach Fusion, the ISP is a good candidate for the cause. Verizon has been having issues on the east coast. They have been impacting everyone because it's not just ISP portion of their infrastructure.

If the Apex is ok on it's own, try restarting your router, cable modem and/or gateway. Then when your computer has connectivity and is working fine, restart the APEX again.

If still issues, open a terminal window on your computer and type

ping apexfusion.com

It should look like:

64 bytes from 104.20.60.242: icmp_seq=0 ttl=59 time=9.929 ms

64 bytes from 104.20.60.242: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=11.022 ms

64 bytes from 104.20.60.242: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=9.048 ms

64 bytes from 104.20.60.242: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=8.189 ms

64 bytes from 104.20.60.242: icmp_seq=4 ttl=59 time=9.725 ms

64 bytes from 104.20.60.242: icmp_seq=5 ttl=59 time=8.970 ms

This means there is some continuity between you and the apex fusion site. If you do not see missing packets, I am at a loss to know where to go from there.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back