Resetting My Apex Remotely

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a way to reset my APEX controller remotely?

Example: Sometimes my internet will cut in and out when I am away from home and sometimes the only way for me to communicate with my APEX is to manually reset it.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to reset my APEX controller remotely?

Example: Sometimes my internet will cut in and out when I am away from home and sometimes the only way for me to communicate with my APEX is to manually reset it.

I’ve also had this issue before. I’ve not only had to manually reset it but I’ve had to turn the DHCP on and off etc... to get it to reconnect.

Following.... I’m not sure if you can or not. Hopefully someone knows [emoji41]

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few clarifying questions: Do you mean reboot, not reset? When at home are you pressing the reboot button in the pinhole next to the auxiliary power port? Also, are you running the 2016 Apex? Are you currently powering the base unit via EB832 and/or using the auxiliary power port?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in both classic and 2016 models there is a reboot option in the fusion webserver. But from what i gather from OP is if the internet cuts in and out then that means some ports are getting stuck and apex will fail to send/receive data and you wont be able to log into the apex or if using fusion it will say disconnected.
For such situation you do have to manually remove base from power or by pressing reboot button in device itself.
Only other solution for this situation i can think of is having the power to apex on timer or remote access device like X10 or Z-Wave or Zigbee which you can disconnect using app and connect which inturn will restart the apex.

Last edited:

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other solution for sun i can think of is having the power to apex on timer or remote access device like X10 or Z-Wave or Zigbee which you can disconnect using app and connect which inturn will restart the apex.

This is what I was thinking of. Possibly using a powered USB hub which is plugged into a smart outlet. The USB hub would be between the EB832 and base unit via USB connections. Since the base unit is going to draw its power from the AquaBus connection, I don't believe it would be possible to just remotely switch the power supply for the Aux power to base unit. The switching would need to occur in the AquaBus connection between EB832 and Base Unit.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you really want to remotely reset it, my concern would be that some other problem would creep up as a result of the reset and not be onsite to fix it.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thought this past weekend. Lost power for 10 minutes while not home and apex wouldn’t connect until i presses the reboot pin hole thing. If unplugging it from
The wall would have the same effect the. I think a belkin(or similar) smart plug would work right? If your apex can’t connect, “flip” the power on/off remotely and it should reboot...
Like mentioned above it could introduce other issues too but it’s a risk either way.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thought this past weekend. Lost power for 10 minutes while not home and apex wouldn’t connect until i presses the reboot pin hole thing. If unplugging it from
The wall would have the same effect the. I think a belkin(or similar) smart plug would work right? If your apex can’t connect, “flip” the power on/off remotely and it should reboot...
Like mentioned above it could introduce other issues too but it’s a risk either way.
It's not so easy to just flip the power with a smart outlet though. If you're talking about flipping auxillary power to the base unit, the unit will continue to run off of AquaBus power. If you flip power on the EB832, then everything turns off. At last if you can't connect to your base unit, the EB832 has everything running as programmed in fall back mode (IIRC). If you could set the base unit to never draw AquaBus power and only rely on the auxiliary power input, then you could easily use a smart outlet to flip power on the base unit. Perhaps a power mode option could be enabled on current units via a software update.

Marlon C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread revival and idea of this was solved? I know the usb has a stronger current so a smart switch between bus and brain would get fried right?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the answer to a remote reboot without connectivity, but I reserved my Apex IP address in my router and have never had an issue with it since, maybe 8 years now.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fundamental problem is you need to reboot your apex because you have lost remote access to it. By default, then, any solution will necessarily need to be external to the Apex. I agree with Dr. Reef - the only way to reboot the apex would be to have a remotely controlled outlet that cut the power to the Apex and all other modules connected via Aquabus.

Another possible option would be to reboot your router. I have remote access to my wifi router and can re-boot it remotely, so you might want to try that route.

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run into this issue almost half the time I am on vacation...Major anxiety if I am not able to access fusion or even my cameras for the tank when I am on vacation.

Especially in California right now with all the wildfires going on and PG&E cutting off power randomly per their Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) program. Would also like to figure out a way to restart or reboot the apex module remotely. Would be a good feature to have!

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clear up a little issue i keep reading.
Once Apex unit gets stuck or ports online get stuck open or closed or for whatever reason apex base unit stops communicating with fusion servers,
There is NO way to reset or restart it with a command over the internet remotely.
It will have to be reset physically in person.
Only way you can do a remote reset/reboot will be if the base is plugged into an outlet that can be remotely turned on and off
or if neptune makes a change in their apex programming and make it to where it keeps checking to see if its live and connected to its server and if it doesn get the ping ok back, it reboots. But i doubt they will do that because there can be too many variables where the apex might keep booting every so often and they will have another problem of emails/calls from hobbyists saying my apex reboots all the time blablabla

Current solution:
If you have smartthings or wink or similar controller at home, get a controlled zigbee or zplus outlet or strip or receptacle and have it to reboot every 4 hrs or 8 hrs etc or remotely turn it on and off when needed which will cause the base to reboot and reset any issues related to no connectivity.
Best if you can attach the router/modem to same outlet so you can reset everything in 1 click

Last edited:
Back