OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a hot minute since I updated this thread. I'll post pictures later today, but here are a quick run down of the ups and downs of the tank thus far:

THE GOOD

Fish
The clowns are doing spectacularly. There were a few nipped fins, but that aggression has died down since my nems have split. They eat like little pigs and regularly steal frozen LRS from my nems tentacles.

Anemones
I started with one. I now have 3. They are doing fantastic and remain bubbled during daylight hours. During the night, they almost completely lose their bubbles, but i'm not concerned.

Coral
I've added some high end acropora from my 210g system to the SPS tower. All of them took very well to the change in a full LED system to LED + T5 (Including my Homewrecker frag).

The System
Skimmer is working great (rated twice the total volume). Cheato is growing well. No major plumbing issues.

THE BAD

Coral
The only coral not doing well is my walt disney acro. It did not acclimate well at all and lost most of its color. I'm still seeing SOME color and polyp extension, so hopefully with time it will recover.

Food Dump
When I got back from Hong Kong, I accidentally knocked my auto-feeders hopper of food into the tank. I got out as much as I could, but the damage was done. The anemones closed up for a few days almost completely. The sand went from white to brown. Algae spike..

Strangely enough, my nitrates didn't speak as much. I was replacing the skimmer cup multiple times per day. No fish or coral loss.

Skimmer Malfunction
Somehow the plate within the housing that creates the bubbles got dislodged. This caused the unit to foam uncontrollably. I fixed the issue last night in 5 minutes.

Quick shot of my Rainbows over Spain acro:

IMG_20181223_184218_98.jpg

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update! First half covers all the new coral, clowns, and nems for the harem :D

@FarmerTy - Your BTA's are doing awesome ;)

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update! First half covers all the new coral, clowns, and nems for the harem :D

@FarmerTy - Your BTA's are doing awesome ;)

Amazing video Aaron! You have a great voice and style for these update videos! Keep doing what you're doing and the anemones look great! Let me know when you're ready for Round 2 of the anemones! [emoji6]

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing video Aaron! You have a great voice and style for these update videos! Keep doing what you're doing and the anemones look great! Let me know when you're ready for Round 2 of the anemones! [emoji6]

You know it man. During the holidays my gf was like "Are there any other anemones you can get with different color?" I told her yeah, there's this sweet lemon drop that I'm hounding after... maybe that's next :D

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is almost done after speaking with SCA. Return lines drilled. Silicone is setting and back still needs to be fully painted. The tank should be shipped tomorrow and arrive Friday or next Monday (depends on how 4th of July affects shipment)

1075_1530580552493.jpeg
following

OP
OP
Aaron-A2

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a new monti from my LFS earlier today. Going to see how this one fares as a backsplash coral encrusting to the back wall. If it does well, I'll pick up a few higher end monti's for the job.

DSC00190.jpg

IMG_20190106_171057_94.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a new monti from my LFS earlier today. Going to see how this one fares as a backsplash coral encrusting to the back wall. If it does well, I'll pick up a few higher end monti's for the job.

DSC00190.jpg

IMG_20190106_171057_94.jpg
Mystic sunset monti?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that was the name at the store, yeah.
It's a very beautiful coral and in my experience a very fast grower :) to give you some perspective this is January 2017 on a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch frag plug
l4vOEUfh.jpg

And this is this last summer 2018
GKtLsUOh.jpg

I really need to take some updated pictures of that coral lol

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabs Mcjones My gf is now claiming it was a superman monti instead... I'll ask next time I go in lol.
Mystic sunset monti, reverse superman monti, it has been called a couple different names. All the same coral :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back