Return Plumbing question

Ag6594

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am upgrading my tank from 65 to 150. I have two 3/4 inch return holes on each side of my aquarium. This is the first time I have had drilled return holes instead of over the top. I have the reef synergy v2 overflow which says it can handle 2500gph. I have two Jabaeo DCQ 10000 pumps which are capable of 2600gph each. I have a head of about 6 feet to cover.

My question is which scenario would you use on your aquariums?
1. Using both pumps at the same time with two seperate return lines running from the sump?
2. Using one pump and splitting it to go to both return holes?
3. Capping one hole and using one pump to one return?

Thanks for suggestions

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am upgrading my tank from 65 to 150. I have two 3/4 inch return holes on each side of my aquarium. This is the first time I have had drilled return holes instead of over the top. I have the reef synergy v2 overflow which says it can handle 2500gph. I have two Jabaeo DCQ 10000 pumps which are capable of 2600gph each. I have a head of about 6 feet to cover.

1. Using both pumps at the same time with two seperate return lines running from the sump?

Thanks for suggestions
Option three is not good use either one or two

Greenreef75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run option 1 for redundancy

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run option 1 and recommend it. Don't expect your pumps to output anywhere near what manufacturer says. I used 3/4" pipes but wish I would've used 1" (higher flow).

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks for suggestions
First thing I will say is just cause over flow say 2600 gallons you will never be able to flow that much thru it. With that being said best way is option 1 with both pumps running this way Do you have the safety of a redundant if one were to go out you have the other till you service the bad one. Only assuming you can turn those pumps down to probably less than 800 gallons each and I think you’ll still be pushing it

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon tank being built with two 3/4” returns just like you. Everything is going to start out ‘oversized’ and then tamed down, rather than trying to push any one piece of equipment to the max. (Example, 2400 gph Fiji overflows, Jebao 8000 return pump, Hydor skimmer rated for 300-400 gallons.)

As to your precise question, I could hook up a Jebao to each of the 3/4” return lines, as many people nowadays suggest for “redundancy“ sake. However think about this: If you had one pump splitting to two (2) returns, what would truly be the consequence of your pump giving out while you were away for a few hours? Won’t you have some wave makers pointed at the surface anyway? So I’m just going to have a spare Jebao laying around; that’s why I bought them— cheap and they do the job. I’ve had one on a 6 foot tank now running all sorts of manifolds for about three years, 24 hours a day. Never a problem. So anyway, what I’m trying to say is my wave makers will BE my “redundancy” in the short term until I come home one day and see that my pump is out and I swap in the spare Jeboa. Then it’s back to the races! (Other opinions on using two pumps are equally valid, I suppose, if you can fit them in your sump.)

Greenreef75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how long the pump is out the tank may cool off to much if your heaters are in the sump without flow. That’s why I like the two pump option if possible

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, @Greenreef75 . I happen to live in a part of Florida where the only thing that makes my FOWLER too cold is air conditioning (lol). But a reef tank in a cold-weather state could be a much different story.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150G tank, 4-5x turnover, so 600 to 750gph would be about right, we don’t want fast water in the filter
I have tested the DCQ-10000, at 15 feet pushed 700gph through 1” pipe. At 3/4” and 6 feet, maybe 1200gph.
Trust you have at least 3 overflows, one for each return and at least one for emergency drain. That part I was a bit cloudy on
Plumb together
C72AC2D0-0693-4CD5-99CD-B8D2C0E1349F.jpeg

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two pumps and one return to both my frag and main tank. I run a check valve on both in case one goes bad the tanks are still getting flow. I’m also running my calcium reactor, uv, and chiller off the returns. It’s a redundancy for me to have it this way. you can do two return pumps but getting the balance right in the sump and if there is back flow if the pumps go out, then you’ll have issues.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as you can see in @Uncle99 pic, I put a union and ball valve on each return. This allows me to easily remove one or both pumps (unions) without DT draining down return pipe (ball valves). If a pump were to fail, I can close the valve until it is replaced.

Side note, my pumps are variable speed so I don't use ball valve to restrict flow.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.7%
Back