Return pump dilemma

michael landin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I’m setting up a new reef tank a 75 gal with a 30 gal long sump I’m trying to pick a return pump but I’m going crazy with this I was thinking about 2 sicce syncras 4.0, a reef octopus water blaster hy 5000, maxpec jump 8k, hydro selth 1600, and a Neptune core 15. I’m installing a apex so controllability is not a big deal but I do need a reliable pump that is going to last I do have a reef tank now but is a nano tank so I don’t have experience with this pumps I need help please

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What overflow box do you have? This will be a major factor in determining your return pump size. The #Maxspect Jump is a reasonable option and either the 6k or 8k would work on a 75g (@Mastiffsrule - do you have any thoughts to share on this pump?).

In addition to all of the pumps that you mentioned which are solid choices, you may also want to look at the #reefoctopus Varios-6. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My first choice would be the maxspect (not sure if you can connect it to a controller). I cannot speak to longevity yet, just installed mine 2 months ago. Super happy with performance and dead quiet. It has 2 pulse settings which are nice. I would say get the 8. The lowest setting is just below 900gph It may be a bit too strong, so you may need to install a ball or gate just in case.

I had a Ehiem 1262 for 10 plus. Great, solid pump. Fairly quiet, large, and sucked up energy. I would not consider it with other options available. I had a Syncra 3.0 and I did not like it. I could never get rid of the hum. Others have also said that, but many more said they are great.

Reef Oct always a good choice.

Let us know what you choose.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are looking for strictly reliability, a dual AC option runIn parallel is best.

Some proven pumps (on the order of decades):

1. Eheim
2. Fluval sp series
3. Laguna
4. Mag drive

OP
OP
M

michael landin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What overflow box do you have? This will be a major factor in determining your return pump size. The #Maxspect Jump is a reasonable option and either the 6k or 8k would work on a 75g (@Mastiffsrule - do you have any thoughts to share on this pump?).

In addition to all of the pumps that you mentioned which are solid choices, you may also want to look at the #reefoctopus Varios-6. Good luck with whatever you decide!
I actually installed a eshop medium overflow box 800 gph

OP
OP
M

michael landin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone for the advise. is kind of hard to choose cause if something goes wrong you can loose your tank hopefully I'll chose right.

OP
OP
M

michael landin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My first choice would be the maxspect (not sure if you can connect it to a controller). I cannot speak to longevity yet, just installed mine 2 months ago. Super happy with performance and dead quiet. It has 2 pulse settings which are nice. I would say get the 8. The lowest setting is just below 900gph It may be a bit too strong, so you may need to install a ball or gate just in case.

I had a Ehiem 1262 for 10 plus. Great, solid pump. Fairly quiet, large, and sucked up energy. I would not consider it with other options available. I had a Syncra 3.0 and I did not like it. I could never get rid of the hum. Others have also said that, but many more said they are great.

Reef Oct always a good choice.

Let us know what you choose.
thank you I really like that pump but my problem with it is that is new so I'm afraid of reliability.

Back