Return Pump Flow Rate

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank system with a total volume of about 40 or so gallons. I'm using a Reef Octopus Varios 2 return pump with a maximum power of 792 gph. I currently have it set on 2 (out of 5 settings). It's in perfect harmony; it's virtually silent. The ball valve is really sticky and hard to make small adjustments. The question is, am I sending enough water volume through my system or should I increase the flow rate of the return pump? I'm hesitant on messing with it because it's really hard to get it in tune. But if it isn't enough flow through my system, then i'll have to deal with it. It's a new tank and i'm currently cycling it. Thx.

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re probably fine, but there are variables. Some people like a slower turn over to allow their skimmer more contact time and triton is 10x’s turnover. You also have to consider the head pressure the pump is under and your overflow rating. It’s not scientific or completely accurate, but I usually assume at least a 50% drop in pump flow. I’ve figured the actual amount(1-90 adds 1’ of pressure) but I don’t think it matters that much unless you are way over or under.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so, yes. But I'm one of those, just enough to run water through the filtering system guys (3-4x/hour) and I'm not using it for water movement in the tank. Next time you do a water change and the nozzle is down, see how long it takes to fill a gallon jug then calculate a flow rate. Depending on your sump design and goals...make the call to adjust.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re probably fine, but there are variables. Some people like a slower turn over to allow their skimmer more contact time and triton is 10x’s turnover. You also have to consider the head pressure the pump is under and your overflow rating. It’s not scientific or completely accurate, but I usually assume at least a 50% drop in pump flow. I’ve figured the actual amount(1-90 adds 1’ of pressure) but I don’t think it matters that much unless you are way over or under.

Thx. There is a pretty good flow coming out of the nozzle into the tank... it puts a nice ripple across the top of the water. It's also a straight shot from my return pump to the nozzle of about 4 feet--no elbows.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so, yes. But I'm one of those, just enough to run water through the filtering system guys (3-4x/hour) and I'm not using it for water movement in the tank. Next time you do a water change and the nozzle is down, see how long it takes to fill a gallon jug then calculate a flow rate. Depending on your sump design and goals...make the call to adjust.
thx. good idea.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Varios2 pump at full-on speed had a return of around 460gph with a 4ft head pressure... since you are only on setting #2, I'd assume you are only around 100gph return possibly. I'd think you'd want it to be much higher, even in a 40g tank.

Here's the head pressure chart for your pump...
varios_2-pressurechart_1.jpg

I wasn't sure where your ball valve was located. If it's on the return line after your pump, it should be full open. If it's on the drain line... then I'd replace it with a gate valve...soooo much easier to tune the flow!

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Varios2 pump at full-on speed had a return of around 460gph with a 4ft head pressure... since you are only on setting #2, I'd assume you are only around 100gph return possibly. I'd think you'd want it to be much higher, even in a 40g tank.

Here's the head pressure chart for your pump...
varios_2-pressurechart_1.jpg

I wasn't sure where your ball valve was located. If it's on the return line after your pump, it should be full open. If it's on the drain line... then I'd replace it with a gate valve...soooo much easier to tune the flow!

It's on the drain line. This is a picture before I filled the tank so the valve is showing fully open. I don't have any livestock in the tank as it is cycling. I think i'm going to try and turn the pump up to at least setting 3, possibly 4, and see if i can get it dialed in. I've seen the gate valve and that's what should have come on the system, but at this time I'm not changing out anything. This is all new to me and i'm taking one small step at a time. thank you.
20191013_124652.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can debate the benefits of lower versus higher turnover; most of which end up being about differing opinions. At the very least, there should be enough turnover to ensure even heating between the sump and display and to provide good surface skimming in the display. If I’m getting dust persisting on the surface of my tanks there’s not enough turnover.

Gate valve is better than a ball valve; but if you’re going to use the latter, use a quality valve like a cepex that won’t stick.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on the drain line. This is a picture before I filled the tank so the valve is showing fully open. I don't have any livestock in the tank as it is cycling. I think i'm going to try and turn the pump up to at least setting 3, possibly 4, and see if i can get it dialed in. I've seen the gate valve and that's what should have come on the system, but at this time I'm not changing out anything. This is all new to me and i'm taking one small step at a time. thank you.
20191013_124652.jpg
It looks like you are using a Herbie overflow system... that's what i use as well. I adjust my drain flow regularly with small micro-turns on the gate valve. You'll want to change to a gate valve as thoug get into it. Right now, you have it wide open because you barely have any return flow... once you turn that up things are going to fluctuate some.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can debate the benefits of lower versus higher turnover; most of which end up being about differing opinions. At the very least, there should be enough turnover to ensure even heating between the sump and display and to provide good surface skimming in the display. If I’m getting dust persisting on the surface of my tanks there’s not enough turnover.

Gate valve is better than a ball valve; but if you’re going to use the latter, use a quality valve like a cepex that won’t stick.

I have at least that. Thx.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the persistent surface dust theory, made me take another look at my tanks!

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Varios 2 on my 37 gallon system with a 10 gallon sump. I also run it on setting 2 for the past 2 years now and the flow rate has been just fine. You really dont need a high flow rate going through your sump at all. Just enough to get it past your filtration in your sump. Return pump flowrate really is not critical at all to be fair. I have found if I run at above setting 3 the tank is a little to loud for my liking.

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you are using a Herbie overflow system... that's what i use as well. I adjust my drain flow regularly with small micro-turns on the gate valve. You'll want to change to a gate valve as thoug get into it. Right now, you have it wide open because you barely have any return flow... once you turn that up things are going to fluctuate some.

That picture, as i stated, is before i filled the tank. I'm using whatever system Waterbox put into it. lol But here's a few more pics of my plumbing.
20191013_124712.jpg

20191026_150647.jpg

OP
OP
S.Pepper

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Varios 2 on my 37 gallon system with a 10 gallon sump. I also run it on setting 2 for the past 2 years now and the flow rate has been just fine. You really dont need a high flow rate going through your sump at all. Just enough to get it past your filtration in your sump. Return pump flowrate really is not critical at all to be fair. I have found if I run at above setting 3 the tank is a little to loud for my liking.

Yes, i agree. At setting 2 it is virtually silent. I just tried setting 3 and 4 and opened the valve more and it's noisy.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i agree. At setting 2 it is virtually silent. I just tried setting 3 and 4 and opened the valve more and it's noisy.

Your picture is a Herbie design...some fine tuning and it will be perfectly quiet. I have no noise from my drains and I use a Varios6 pump that makes no noise at all.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back