Return pump noise

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my new tank set up and turned everything on. The return pump is pretty loud though. Rossmont Riser 550.

Any chance this will subside after a bit or should I look at a different pump? It’s not vibration from touching the sump or the tank and I’m using both Levels of the sound dampening feet things it has.

When I raise it up off the sump the sound level coming from it changes only slightly. I can hear it throughout the entire apartment through concrete walls and closed doors.

I saw a bunch of reviews saying it is “whisper quiet” but like dang this is a loud whisper lol. If you whispered this loud I could hear what you’re saying two rooms over if I concentrated enough on listening to it.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would see about taking the pump out to see if it can be examined closer. Maybe something might have gotten caught in it, or something is slightly out of alignment.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with that pump but it sounds like there is an issue with it. If it is rigidly connected to the return pipe, or sump that can make noise worse. From what you said it sounds like it is in sump and not rigidly plumbed.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my new tank set up and turned everything on. The return pump is pretty loud though. Rossmont Riser 550.

Any chance this will subside after a bit or should I look at a different pump? It’s not vibration from touching the sump or the tank and I’m using both Levels of the sound dampening feet things it has.

When I raise it up off the sump the sound level coming from it changes only slightly. I can hear it throughout the entire apartment through concrete walls and closed doors.

I saw a bunch of reviews saying it is “whisper quiet” but like dang this is a loud whisper lol. If you whispered this loud I could hear what you’re saying two rooms over if I concentrated enough on listening to it.
I had similar issue with their powerheads.
I just moved on to another brand.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with that pump but it sounds like there is an issue with it. If it is rigidly connected to the return pipe, or sump that can make noise worse. From what you said it sounds like it is in sump and not rigidly plumbed.
I used vinyl hose for about 2ft and then hard plumbed it the rest of the way. But I loosened off all the anchors I had on the pvc to the stand and held it off the stand completely and it’s still humming very loudly.

My fiancé was vacuuming the apartment earlier and I was in the bedroom beside where the aquarium is and I could hear the hum of the pump through the loudness of the vacuum lol.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would see about taking the pump out to see if it can be examined closer. Maybe something might have gotten caught in it, or something is slightly out of alignment.
Yeah Im gonna give it a few days to break in if it doesn’t subside I’ll check inside. But I checked it before I used it at all and it was fine and it’s only pumped clean water so far.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issue with their powerheads.
I just moved on to another brand.
dang. Was really hoping it would be fine. I didn’t actually want this pump I had got the Sicce syncra but the store I ordered from was out and they recommended this one instead so I went with it.

Are DC pumps quieter? I was thinking about just getting the Jebao DC 3000 that way I can tune it down to like half output and maybe it would be quiet.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pump is the lifeline of your system, buy the best that is in your budget. DC will help, if you can't go DC put silicone hose from output to hard plumbing. All " noise from vibration will go away" if the pumps noisy ....change pumps. I suspect vibration.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pump is the lifeline of your system, buy the best that is in your budget. DC will help, if you can't go DC put silicone hose from output to hard plumbing. All " noise from vibration will go away" if the pumps noisy ....change pumps. I suspect vibration.
I already have a 3/4” hose attached.

You say buy the best you can afford which I can get behind but is say a vectra really 4x the value of a Jebao DC pump?

I suppose I could splurge and go with a vectra s2 and dial it way back. It does have some really cool features.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinyl hose can transmit sound much more than silicone hose. Although it's expensive, try a piece of FDA approved silicone. You'll be amazed how much it dampens noise.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinyl hose can transmit sound much more than silicone hose. Although it's expensive, try a piece of FDA approved silicone. You'll be amazed how much it dampens noise.
Are you talking about something like this?

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or actually I think I found some. Was hard to find some 3/4” so I don’t have to go and buy new barb adapters and stuff. I’ll try this see if it helps dampen the noise at all

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a 3/4” hose attached.

You say buy the best you can afford which I can get behind but is say a vectra really 4x the value of a Jebao DC pump?

I suppose I could splurge and go with a vectra s2 and dial it way back. It does have some really cool features.

I run an M2 on my system, and it is whisper quiet. The tank is in a loft area of the house that we spend quite a bit of time in, and you have to open the doors on the bottom of my tank to hear it. Depending on what you consider important, I would gladly spend $$$ to have a silent pump. It is also really nice that it can be dialed in to the exact flow I want running through the sump.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@magicwhistle I actually have a Jebao DCT-8000 as my return pump for a 75g. It runs really quiet and can barely hear the noise. I don’t run at full power since it will empty the return chamber before the water comes back.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. Was really hoping it would be fine. I didn’t actually want this pump I had got the Sicce syncra but the store I ordered from was out and they recommended this one instead so I went with it.

Are DC pumps quieter? I was thinking about just getting the Jebao DC 3000 that way I can tune it down to like half output and maybe it would be quiet.
You can buy two Jebaos for the price of some branded pumps. Keep one as spare.
Jebao are far more quieter.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got a silicone pot pad thing (for hot pots in kitchens) and put that under the pump. It helped.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check for anything else that either causes or worsens vibration.

On my sump, if the flexible return hose so much as touches the side of the sump it sounds terrible from both the vibration and the hollow acoustics in the base of the stand.

I use a silicone pot holder as previously suggested, and I've also lined the inside of my stand with cheap sound deadening material to prevent vibration from being amplifies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back