Return pump noise

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your other post. I would contact rossmont and show them your picture. These mostly get solid reviews. I have a sicce syncra that i like, but i need a bigger pump and the rx1400 or 1850 are in contention.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the Coralbox DCA 4000 and set it up today.

Even at max speed which is like 2x as much output as the rossmont riser I had I couldn’t tell the thing was turned on excluding seeing water come out of my return line.

It’s seriously quiet. I have it turned down to the lowest setting right now and it seems to be working fine. Waiting for the water to all level off in my overflow before I start dialing in the exact flow rate.

First impression though is very impressed. Even if this thing fails in a year I spent less on it than I did the Rossmont (I think it was 90$ vs the rossmont was 130CAD) which was loud from the moment it started up.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech vectra and current eflux are dead silent DC pumps. I have two of both, I like the ecotech much better, but it's about double the cost.
Yeah. Initially I was looking to buy a vectra. But I just can’t justify the cost and I don’t know how they can justify it being that price.

I also looked into making a board that can control AC pumps to see if maybe dialing the rossmont back would make a difference at all but the Jebao pumps are so cheap it doesn’t seem worth the effort. Although to make the board to control AC pumps didn’t seem too complicated. Not sure why companies aren’t doing them except rossmont (which is insanely expensive for what it is and is proprietary). Can use a relatively simple circuit to control any AC motor from a laundry machine to a pump.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Initially I was looking to buy a vectra. But I just can’t justify the cost and I don’t know how they can justify it being that price.

I also looked into making a board that can control AC pumps to see if maybe dialing the rossmont back would make a difference at all but the Jebao pumps are so cheap it doesn’t seem worth the effort. Although to make the board to control AC pumps didn’t seem too complicated. Not sure why companies aren’t doing them except rossmont (which is insanely expensive for what it is and is proprietary). Can use a relatively simple circuit to control any AC motor from a laundry machine to a pump.
Most AC pumps have 2 pole motors. The CoralBox has 6 poles which reduces vibration and in turn makes it quiet.
Can’t go wrong with CoralBox . You can buy two or more compared to other pumps.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most AC pumps have 2 pole motors. The CoralBox has 6 poles which reduces vibration and in turn makes it quiet.
Can’t go wrong with CoralBox . You can buy two or more compared to other pumps.
Yeah. I mean it hasn't been set up for very long only a few hours now but it's dead silent and at the 2nd setting it provides enough flow for my system. Considering I paid less than what I paid for the Rossmont for half the output I'm very happy with this purchase. We'll see in the next year though how well this pump keeps up.

The only thing I dislike is lack of documentation. What exactly does 1/10 lights mean for output? It's definitely not 10%.

Can't find any information on what the speed settings correspond to either which is kind of annoying. (I'd like to know how much turn over I'm getting through my sump)

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I mean it hasn't been set up for very long only a few hours now but it's dead silent and at the 2nd setting it provides enough flow for my system. Considering I paid less than what I paid for the Rossmont for half the output I'm very happy with this purchase. We'll see in the next year though how well this pump keeps up.

The only thing I dislike is lack of documentation. What exactly does 1/10 lights mean for output? It's definitely not 10%.

Can't find any information on what the speed settings correspond to either which is kind of annoying. (I'd like to know how much turn over I'm getting through my sump)
I have a Coralbox skimmer for more than one year and still running flawlessly.
I know someone who has had these pumps know for about 3 years and still running .
That being said these pumps or any pumps with electronics are more prone to failure than a standard AC, but I am willing to accept that for the quietness and smooth running . Besides they are so affordable that you could easily keep a spare on hand.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my new tank set up and turned everything on. The return pump is pretty loud though. Rossmont Riser 550.

Any chance this will subside after a bit or should I look at a different pump? It’s not vibration from touching the sump or the tank and I’m using both Levels of the sound dampening feet things it has.

When I raise it up off the sump the sound level coming from it changes only slightly. I can hear it throughout the entire apartment through concrete walls and closed doors.

I saw a bunch of reviews saying it is “whisper quiet” but like dang this is a loud whisper lol. If you whispered this loud I could hear what you’re saying two rooms over if I concentrated enough on listening to it.
It could have been a Powering issue. Many people run all their equipment off one power-board overloading the hell out of the single power outlet it's plugged into. The irregular power going to equipment is bad and would probably also shorten the life of pumps. I've had the issue before is all. Every time my Air Conditioner turns on my Return pump goes "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR", it still pumps but it vibrates like a champion.

BubbleWrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a silicone pot pad thing (for hot pots in kitchens) and put that under the pump. It helped.
How is that mat? Will this silicone chocolate mould work?

Attachments

• 1646448540595.png
    1646448540595.png
    511.3 KB · Views: 16

cheesylx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC pumps are quieter, allow you to control power. Also use re-inforced vinyl pipe instead of pvc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back