Brand new mp40 making noise

MrZ3no

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve recently bought a brand new mp40, and installed it tonight. And it’s making this loud vibration noise. When I put my hand on the glass I can feel the vibration. And I can also hear the vibration when ever the pump ramps up.

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I had similar issues with 2 of my mp40s

First, make sure that you are using the correct piece linked to your glass (or acrylic) size.

Assuming that this is ok, in my case it took one day or two to stop the noise…
From time to time, I was try to adjust a bit the wet side to make sure it was perfectly aligned.

After that, the noise was completely gone…

Let me know!

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like stated above make sure you have the correct spacer. Also make sure the dry side and wet side is aligned. You can try aligning with the powerhead running and if that doen't work try with it shut off.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disassemble the wetside to make sure there is no debris stuck or jammed inside. This is very easy to do and should be done during routine maintenance so it is a good time to get familiar with how to disassemble. If you look under my profile you will see a thread where I bought 2 MP40s and I had to do a warranty claim on one of them. Ecotech customer service was great.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes me a bit of effort to line up the wet and dry sides. I set the speed to condtant 100% when aligning them. It makes the process much easier.

cappa43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve recently bought a brand new mp40, and installed it tonight. And it’s making this loud vibration noise. When I put my hand on the glass I can feel the vibration. And I can also hear the vibration when ever the pump ramps up.
Mine still vibrates the glass a little but I had the vibration noise bad with 2 brand new ones. Take them out dry the back of the dry side if wet. Then clean the glass where you usually put it. Then make sure the wet side is locked together with the cage and whatnot and put it back on the glass. See if that helps. It helped me, when you clean the tank, if water gets behind the dry side it will create a void which will make the magnets bounce around.

Ruminari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tip is to assemble the wetsides underwater. I forever fought with one wetside always being noisy, EcoTech even replaced the wetside and still had the issue. Once I started assembling them after cleaning inside the tank the issues and noise completely went away. My wife and I were beyond frustrated with the MP40 before I figured this out as they were just loud enough to be annoying in our bedroom. Previously we used Tunze 6095 pumps and they were always whisper quiet, now after the underwater assembly these are quiet too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back