Return pump only?

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 33 gallon cube. DC pump (Varios 2). Coast-to-coast overflow.

I am able to crank up the pump and not get bubbles or noise.

Coral will be: zoas, cyphastrea, encrusting monitpora. That's it.

Will I need any sort of internal flow generation, or might I have success if I attempt to use the pump as a source of enough flow?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be limited to where you put your encrusting montis with only the Varios 2. You may also notice some dead spots, hence why a internal powerhead might be useful. That being said, for zoas and cyphastrea, as long as you're smart about placement and aquascaping, you should be able to design enough "flow". A powerhead inside the tank would likely allow you to be able to fine tune it so you have access to the entire space for coral placement.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, the return pump by itself won't provide enough random flow for most reef tanks. It might be enough on paper, and the flow certainly adds to the flow of the tank as a whole, but random flow from a powerhead does a lot to mix water, suspend detritus, and deliver nutrients to corals.

You just won't get as thorough of a mixing in your tank with a single high-powered return.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of the need for powerheads or wave makers is that it is based on fairly recent (in historical terms) science, which shows that coral need it biologically to disrupt surface tension, etc., to be able to perform normal metabolic functions and feed, etc. I'm not sure a return pump will be enough for that. But it could be (?), given the type of coral I intend. That's what I'm trying to assess. For SPS and what not, it seems clear it won't be adequate, but I won't be growing that (the super man montipora will be 1-2" from the surface and thus catch the coast-to-coast overflow flow, is my thought there).

I think the concern about dead spots from aquascape is very valid, especially location limitations.

It's true what they say- flow is confusing to newbies...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back