Return pump/overflow balance issue

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an optical sensor to keep the water level in my return pump stable. While it does add water the system I am noticing the water level in my DT tank going down. I am guessing this either means my flow to the tank is slowing down or my return is speeding up. I have a varios dc return pump and the only thing I can think of is due to the slight less water pressure in the return pump chamber the flow going to the tank slows down slightly.

Am I missing something? Anything I can do to correct?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of drain are you running? And how much flow is in the tank? Any wave makers or anything like that?

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of drain are you running? And how much flow is in the tank? Any wave makers or anything like that?
It stock what came with the tank. Its a herbie with a gate valve. I do have a icecap 3k gyre. I run the varios 4 at 80%.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the water flows into an overflow box from the tank. If its flowing, how can your tank level change ?

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the water flows into an overflow box from the tank. If its flowing, how can your tank level change ?
The water level is about 2 inches above the overflow pipe. This allows it to be silent. As the situation I described above occurs the water level goes down closer and closer to the overflow pipe.

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that when your ATO pump kicks on your DC return pump is affected by the increased current usage and is slowing down? May have too many items plugged into one circuit? Just a guess. Could be way off target.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that when your ATO pump kicks on your DC return pump is affected by the increased current usage and is slowing down? May have too many items plugged into one circuit? Just a guess. Could be way off target.
It's a good thought. My ato is a aqualifter so not a lot of power there.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level is about 2 inches above the overflow pipe. This allows it to be silent. As the situation I described above occurs the water level goes down closer and closer to the overflow pipe.
So you dont have an overflow box. To regulate the water level Just a pipe in the tank. It is going to be really hard to keep a steady level. Water flow will change due to algae build up in the pipes and the fact that our hobby pumps are not that precise. RPM can change with house current fluctuations. Then you have the unwanted snail or 2.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention the dc pumps can slow down over time. I would contact CoralVue to see if they can replace something. But power availability, especially if heaters are on, can definitely sap the power usage.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back