Return Pump Plumbing

DaBrewzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I am setting up a 180 gallon with sump. (first time sumping) Looking for recommendations/warnings/lessons learned on return pump plumbing back to the tank. I am researching and have seen rigid setups via PVC pipe and valves. I have seen a few with tubing. Will tubing suffice, and if so what type? I am looking to run two returns, one on each end of the 6' tank.

Thanks in advance!

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @blaxsun ...a hybrid setup is a little easier and is more forgiving with plumbing/gluing mistakes and can also provide dampening from vibration from pumps. I posted some pics below of my hybrid/current setup.

Though, my upgrade I am doing all hard plumbing as I like the clean look. I am in the middle of it but, here are some examples of all rigid as well.

My advice, plan it on paper and order extra parts. ...and don't forget to slip the union nuts on before gluing!

Hybrid:

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

Rigid:

IMG_6314.JPG

IMG_6378.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @blaxsun ...a hybrid setup is a little easier and is more forgiving with plumbing/gluing mistakes and can also provide dampening from vibration from pumps. I posted some pics below of my hybrid/current setup.

Though, my upgrade I am doing all hard plumbing as I like the clean look. I am in the middle of it but, here are some examples of all rigid as well.

My advice, plan it on paper and order extra parts. ...and don't forget to slip the union nuts on before gluing!

Hybrid:

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

Rigid:

IMG_6314.JPG

IMG_6378.jpg
Ok, you've just volunteered to help me plumb my tank!

OP
OP
D

DaBrewzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hybrid:

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

Rigid:

IMG_6314.JPG

IMG_6378.jpg
Wow, that is really cool. Way over my head LOL, but I like the hybrid idea, thanks for that.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a tank that big, I recommend 3 drains (tank to sump) set up as a Bean Animal configuration (1 siphon, 1 Durso, 1 dry emergency). I tend to use regular rigid PVC for these. For the returns (sump to display) I have used all flex line up to the bulkhead fittings, and a hybrid with a flexible segment in the rigid plumbing, typically near the pump. Your mileage may vary depending on how the tank is set up.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a tank that big, I recommend 3 drains (tank to sump) set up as a Bean Animal configuration (1 siphon, 1 Durso, 1 dry emergency). I tend to use regular rigid PVC for these. For the returns (sump to display) I have used all flex line up to the bulkhead fittings, and a hybrid with a flexible segment in the rigid plumbing, typically near the pump. Your mileage may vary depending on how the tank is set up.
I'm curious as to why so many suggest a durso for the secondary drain (on a BA setup). IME, the durso style is much noisier than an open channel.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello All, I am setting up a 180 gallon with sump. (first time sumping) Looking for recommendations/warnings/lessons learned on return pump plumbing back to the tank. I am researching and have seen rigid setups via PVC pipe and valves. I have seen a few with tubing. Will tubing suffice, and if so what type? I am looking to run two returns, one on each end of the 6' tank.

Thanks in advance!
I have mine hard plumbed right up to 6" before pump where I use the barbed fitting and rubber hose. It allows me to remove pump easily for cleaning or exchange.

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 6ft tank now using just 1" black soft tubing from two return pumps. Because of my design I need to use 1 90° barb x barb fitting on the left return, but the right return is just a soft curve with no 90s or 45s.

No unions or anything. I am not going to try and predict or plan for 6 months from now. I'll deal with any additions then. :)

OP
OP
D

DaBrewzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great suggestions, thank you. I plan to use 1 1/2" pvc for the drains into the sump. Because it is an Eshopps sump there is about 18" of corrugated/flexible tubing attached to the sump so that will reduce the drains down from 1 1/2". On the return from the single pump to the tank I was considering just using flexible tubing with a Y and two inline check valves. Once I have the hard pipe drains in place I can scope out if 3/4" PVC would work. I did read that tubing off the pump is great for reducing vibrations, so that is definitely in the plan.

Thanks again all, really appreciate it.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great suggestions, thank you. I plan to use 1 1/2" pvc for the drains into the sump. Because it is an Eshopps sump there is about 18" of corrugated/flexible tubing attached to the sump so that will reduce the drains down from 1 1/2". On the return from the single pump to the tank I was considering just using flexible tubing with a Y and two inline check valves. Once I have the hard pipe drains in place I can scope out if 3/4" PVC would work. I did read that tubing off the pump is great for reducing vibrations, so that is definitely in the plan.

Thanks again all, really appreciate it.
I would avoid the corrugated plumbing as the water flowing over the ripples is likely to be a source of noise. Some noise is unavoidable but most folks like their tanks fairly quiet

Also, check valves are pretty much useless, especially in a bio diverse system, because all it takes to prevent them working in one invert/sponge/feather duster worm growing on the valve seat to keep it from closing. It’s safest to simply design the system to not require them by having enough volume in the sump to handle all that drains out during a pump outage.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to why so many suggest a durso for the secondary drain (on a BA setup). IME, the durso style is much noisier than an open channel.
The durso I’ve had were always silent.

Check the pin hole on the top and make sure it’s not clogged if you hear it sucking air.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my prior tanks were vinyl tubing. Current one came with pre fitted PVC save the last 2 feet or so on the return pump.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The down turned intake silences the flow in the partially filled standpipe. The air intake is situated so that if it (or the hose connected to it) becomes submerged, the standpipe will turn into a fill siphon... One of the the "fail-safe" mechanisms of the overflow design.

OP
OP
D

DaBrewzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, follow up question, what type of flex did you use?

OP
OP
D

DaBrewzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the corrugated plumbing as the water flowing over the ripples is likely to be a source of noise. Some noise is unavoidable but most folks like their tanks fairly quiet

Also, check valves are pretty much useless, especially in a bio diverse system, because all it takes to prevent them working in one invert/sponge/feather duster worm growing on the valve seat to keep it from closing. It’s safest to simply design the system to not require them by having enough volume in the sump to handle all that drains out during a pump outage.
That's good advice, hadn't thought about critters getting into the pipes

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back